What do you guys use to sanitize your tubs?

Just received a block of reptichip to change out all my substrate. Normally I use soap and water but I know I need to use sanitizer as well

1 Like

This is what I use.

7 Likes

Chlorohex is solid. 10% bleach is good. In a pinch you can use Clorox wipes.

It is vitally important that you maintain and execute the proper wet contact time with anything you use

3 Likes

Thank you. Im assuming you wash the tub, wipe it down with this stuff, then let it dry. Is that about right?

1 Like

Scrub it down with Dawn Ultra and a brush, rinse, then soak in a 10% liquid bleach solution for at least 10 minutes. Air dry completely.

Dawn Ultra has chlorhexidine in it, by the way. Good stuff for everyday cleaning.

What @t_h_wyman said is important: Sanitization is all about contact time.

2 Likes

ok tyvm. you guys are helping animals youll never even know.

2 Likes

I ordered the chlorhexidine.

After following the dilution instructions in a 5 gal bucket should I just sumerge the whole tub in it for ten minutes? And air dry afterwards?

I mix up a gallon at a time and put it into one of those garden sprayer thingies. Spray everything down, wipe it off after 10 min and it’s good to go. I read somewhere that it loses it’s potency (after dilution) after a few weeks so I tend to make smaller batches as needed.

1 Like

I use the same Chlorhexidine. I buy a gallon of distilled water, add 2 tablespoons of the Chlorhexidine to the water and shake then I pour out of that into my cheap 2 liter Futone pressure sprayers. You can use tap water but it’s only effective for 2 weeks when mixed with tap water, it lasts 6 weeks when mixed with distilled. I recommend using some sort of sprayer vs mixing large amounts and using the dip method or you’ll be going through it quickly. Let it sit at least 10 minutes and wipe it off if you’re in a hurry or you can just let it air dry if you prefer.

1 Like

For deep cleans, I rinse the tub in hot water, scrub down with Dawn dish soap, rinse with hot water again, wipe dry, then spray the chlorhexidine, let it sit, then wipe. I don’t stress at this point about wiping completely dry since it is safe for the snakes. For spot clean, just spray, let sit, and wipe up.

2 Likes

ok guys ty I think I got it.

1 Like

Bookmarking this!

1 Like

This is actually exactly how I do it, I left out the washing steps. I also wash and disinfect all my rat tubs at least once a week using the exact same method.

1 Like

That’s what I use with hot water and a soak.
But I use the old style cheep thin bleach. A lot of the thick bleaches have other chemicals in them to make them stick to surfaces so they stick to surfaces and continue working after rinsing/flushing.
Besides the extra chemicals it makes them harder to rinse off.
The thick bleaches also usually have fragrances which I don’t want.
And of corse I rinse thoroughly in hot water and let things dry before using them.
Edit: I prefer 5% bleach for water bowls.

1 Like

yeah I am not so hot about bleach on plastic

Why? im willing to learn.
I guess it might depend on the type of plastic and if you dilute it enough. Also if you use the thin or the thick bleach with added chemistry.
I have been using thin bleach for many decades on the same tubs with no problems. I have mostly old contico tubs (don’t think you can get them now and they might be a different plastic to RUBs )
Although it doesn’t seem to hurt my newer RUBs either but I haven’t had those long.

2 Likes

Same. Diluted chlorhexidine, it’s in alot of liquid soaps and cleaning products, it’s even in some mouth washes. I like it better than bleach, I feel it’s more forgiving if you accidentally put a bit higher % when diluting. I’ve had specialized herp vets tell me to use it on a qtip to apply directly to gums on mouth infections, w great results so it can’t be that unsafe.

2 Likes

I also use Diluted chlorhexidine to wash out my tubs and terrariums. I use it for my rats
also. I saw this same solution at the Veterinarian’s office yesterday. They wipe down their
equipment and tables with it. You can put it on dogs, for cuts and abrasions also.

2 Likes

If you live near one, you can get Chlorhexidine 2% at Tractor Supply stores for like $16 a gal.

1 Like

Thank you. I do have 1 near me and I will purchase it there next time.

Also welcome!!

1 Like