What else can go in a ball python size rack?

So I’ve got a extra rack with nothing going on inside and I kinda just bought it as a extra rack if needed. Kinda thought I’d just keep it in the garage until I needed it but since most of my stuff is 90% ball pythons I want something different just so I have some variation in my animals. And as always, if I decide to go with any of your suggestions I will do my homework on that animal and its requirements :slightly_smiling_face:. Oh and if you have some animals other than ball pythons in racks then feel free to share! The tubs are 17.5 in wide, 33.5 long and 5.3 tall

1 Like

I actually keep all of my snakes in racks. I also used to use racks for leopard geckos. What are the dimensions of the tubs in your rack? That could give me an idea of what would fit in there.

1 Like

Short tailed pythons do great in racks. They can be (usually are, to the best of my knowledge) a little more active than ball pythons if you get the temperature and humidity perfect but otherwise are happy to just squat in the back of the tub.

I don’t know how tall your tubs are but if you’ve got something > 6" or so you can house some smaller colubrids including hognose snakes. Lots of shredded aspen for digging and they’re happy in a tub. Plains hognose males are easily < 24".

The L+W method is a pretty good rule of thumb.

2 Likes

@westridge @asura forgot to mention the size. They are breeder ball python tubs. Freedom breeder fb70 series tubs

That’d be a mansion for a hognose! :laughing:
To be honest I don’t think I would actually put a hognose in one of those, though.

You’re just going to have to get into short tailed pythons. :wink:

1 Like

Could they live in a ball python rack their entire lives? I’ve thought about pulling the trigger on one before. The last tub in the rack is about 6 or 6.5 inches tall with a plexi glass window. You think a female could live in that?

If you do L+W as the rule iirc the FB70 is ~50". You’ll need a larger tub for a large adult (~6’) with a water bowl. The average across all three is the same, as far as I know, at around 4-5’. Tight fit. :frowning:

I’ve always kept short tails in Christmas tree totes. Think racks might be a bit small.

1 Like

Angolan Pythons :+1:

3 Likes

Most of the N. Am. king or rat snakes would do fine in a tub, probably a number of old world ones as well assuming you maintain the proper temps which are lower than those of balls.

Some of the smaller carpet species/subspecies can be kept in racks

2 Likes

They can live just fine their entire lives in a bp tub?

Yep angolans are 5 feet on average with similar weight than BP not to mention similar husbandry requirements.

2 Likes

I don’t know about Angolan pythons being the size of balls. My males are in that range but my females are at least 6ft and 4500-5000 grams. The breeder I got them from has a 6000 gram female. I keep my females in 4ft ARS caging. My adult blood pythons are also too large to be kept in that size rack. I could see keeping Sumatran short-tails in a rack like that, they are smaller on average. But personally, I keep all of my blood and short-tails in 4ft caging. They may not be that long, but they are massive.

You might consider Mexican and Central American dwarf boas. Most localities max out at 4ft and could be comfortably kept in your rack. I’d say the one exception would be the Hog Island locality, which can grow to be larger than the others. Some of the smaller Pituophis species could work as well.

2 Likes

Just wanted to bump this back up since I am rebuilding my collection from scratch agian. Anyone have anymore suggestions as to what else other than ball pythons could live their entire lives in a breerder ball python tub?

Smaller boa species and male boas will likely do great in a 70 series ball python tub their entire life.

1 Like

Sand, Rosy and rubber boas, anteresia species and maybe viper boas would all be good.

1 Like

Savu pythons are a very fun little python that would do great in a tub that size.

1 Like

Spotted python 100%

Dwarf Burmese python would work, they are hard to find.
I’m not sure many rat, corn or kingsnakes would be a good bet. Just because the ones I’ve owned have all enjoyed vertical space as much as horizontal.
Some carpets would be ok, but I personally wouldn’t do that, as they also love the extra height in enclosures.
Rosy boas would be a great choice, or other small boas, my male Red-tailed ended up being around 6ft, so I definitely wouldn’t do a common boa.
Kinda hard to say, as so many species enjoy the extra room if you give it to them.

2 Likes

Yeah, most of the North American colubrids (rat snakes, corn snakes, king snakes, milk snakes and garter snakes) all enjoy a lot of climbing space and need are mostly all diurnal so they wouldn’t do the best in tubs. I keep both my king snake and rat snake in terrariums and they use all of their climbing space. It is fun to interact with them since they are very curious and love enrichment and will watch the world around them as much as you watch them. On top of the fact that some (like the Eastern rat snakes) get too long for a tub like that and are semi arboreal. I wouldn’t recommend starting a rosy, sand, or rubber boa in a tub of that size due to just how small they are but an adult would be fine in them. Sand boas generally need more heat than a BP (only at max of 92°F I believe), whereas both rubber and rosy boas (both native to the U.S.) need temps in the mid 80s to do best with a good night time drop of about 10°F. Hognose might work since they don’t generally climb, but babies are too tiny for tubs that big as well.

1 Like