What happened?

I am so upset. I want to make corrections if I did something wrong.

I use rack systems. Stitch was in a homemade rack. About a week or after ovulation we got a vision rack ( 2nd hand) moved her and most of the collection in. She is in an FB 70 now and it’s solid gray. We transferred all her bedding with her so it smelled the same. We struggled with high Temps in the bottom have of the rack for about 1 day. We then split the rack on 2 thermostats and everything has been perfect since. I love this rack and these tubs it does a much better job at heat and humidity then my home made ones. Anyways, about a week before ovy she was ultrasounded to my surprise she was really close. She had 11 perfect looking follicles. She laid yesterday 5 days early, 12 total 6 were slugs, 1 unfertlized boob egg and 1 of the 5 left we seen am embryo but no veins so not sure about that one either. She is not a first time mom. She laid 11 perfect eggs in 2019, slams food reliability. I have no idea if I did something wrong or this just happens.

2 Likes

Only things wrong I can think is that the stress from being moved could have caused it, or the male just didn’t do his job well. Sometimes things like this just happen. You can’t expect perfect clutches everytime you breed a female. I believe even our own @t_h_wyman has had some bad luck recently with his BPs.

3 Likes

How old was your male? Also you say you struggled with high temps. How high were the temperatures for that day?

This can not be stressed enough. This is part of breeding you will have things go wrong. There isn’t always an explanation.

4 Likes

I’m with everyone else and sometimes things like this happened, and it’s out of your control. The only thing I personally could see being the issue, if any, could have been the male.

I’m sorry this happened to you.

3 Likes

Yep, I echo those above. This is a dud male, not a female issue.

1 Like

My male is a first timer, hopefully this pattern doesn’t continue with him. My friends and I are trying to prove something. We each have 1 male banana from the same clutch, they are supposed to be male makers. So far his brothers have each produced females. We know they are male makers because my friend has the parents, and a grandfather, since they came from a male, we should not be getting females. One ok, good odds. 2 of them… ok maybe odds but so far 3 of of the 4 bananas have produced females. That is not just lucky.

Temps got to 103.

Male is 3 now. His first clutch, Stitches 2nd clutch

I really just want to learn and fix mistakes if this could be prevented. I haven’t checked on the remaining eggs yet. 4 of them had veins. The 5th we saw an embryo but not veinsvso Hopefully it survives. I am such a high anxiety person, and strive for perfection. That personality traits has been tested keeping snakes.

That is really hot :hot_face: for anything to do with bps. I hope that the future attempts go better.

2 Likes

Yeeeeeaaaaaah… You could put it that way. Two clutches of perfect-looking but veinless eggs, a partho clutch with only a single egg making it to hatch, and two clutches with 30% slugs.

Definitely not a great year for me.

While a spike like this is less than ideal, a single day is unlikely to have caused the issues you describe

3 Likes

Only 4 good ones, out of 12. One egg had zero veins at 7 days, felt hard to the touch so removed it… My orange Dream ovulated. She was paired originally to the banana male, only 2 or 3 times, then after that a male orange dream. So now I am really hoping the OD is the sire. My friends are having rough seasons too, several YouTube people are too. Just one of those years I guess.

1 Like

It happens. I’ve had my incubator crest 100* and the eggs all be fine before so I’m with @t_h_wyman there.

Despite what we like to think we don’t have control over enough of the variables to ensure you always get a good number of good eggs.

One factor I go to right away in bad clutches is obesity. Do you feed weekly?

I don’t think would have a big affect the eggs, but might did you go from semi transparent or clear tubs to grey?

3 Likes

I do offer weens/smalls weekly rats. , I wouldn’t consider her Obese, she only gets super big when building, other then that she looks good to me. She is 4 feet 4 inches, without building/gravid weighs around 2500 grams. When she is close to ovulation she crosses the 3k mark. She is probably around 1700 now.

Yes, they were in a homemade rack with Walmart steralite tubs. Now in a vision rack with FB70 Grey tubs