What is everybody's 2022 colubrid pairings?

I’ve made a big dump-post on a UK reptile forum with most pictures/articles that I’ve found all in one place. There’s some really funky behaviour in the Kukri group, from territorial combat over turtle nests, consuming the organs out of otherwise too-large prey items, to eating mushrooms!

Also try joining the Oligodon Facebook group, it’s a good little community! Lots of first-hand observations from seasoned kukri keepers in the US, Europe and Indonesia.

1 Like

I’ve got a couple pairs of corns for my first year out:
Danger (scaleless) x Sienna (ph scaleless)
Chipmunk (Ghost w/hets & ph) x Celia (Blizzard)

Trying to prove out Sienna, so that will be exciting, either way they’re both gorgeous animals. As for Chipmunk, I’m not sure he’ll be able to get the job done, so I have a backup male just in case. I’ve got a couple of other animals in my collection I’d like to find a match for in the next year or two here as they get up to breeding size. I also have a mystery rat snake I acquired that turned out to be an E. climacophora, and this year the poor guy was so desperate for some tail that he was chasing his own, so I’d like to find him a lady. :rofl:

3 Likes

Looking like a pre-lay shed. Looking like eggs soon. Hopefully fertile!

Hopefully I’ll be kickstarting 2022 with some hatchling kukris in January :grin:

4 Likes

Kukris are so sick! I am trying to find if they will eat mice in captivity, what is your experience? If they can, maybe one day in the future!

1 Like

It looks promising, hopefully you get lots of fertile eggs.
I believe they readily eat frog legs and fertile eggs. Some of them will eat mice but it’s tricky to switch them.

1 Like

This Tioman Island Red (originally thought to be male) eats defrost mice without hesitation. She strike feeds off tongs. She also eats defrost frogs legs. When I thought she was a he, I had her in with an LTC brown female which only eats egg out of a bowl (I trick her into eating chopped up organ meats, pinkies and frog legs by mixing it into her eggy mess). She used to eat that too.

Some breeders swear by avoiding mice with fur.

Some can be coaxed into eating mice with a bit of egg yolk on for scenting.

Some will only eat egg out of a little bowl, and need to have their additional meats and organs chopped up small so that they don’t hoover up the egg and leave the chunks behind.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response! Maybe they are snakes for me in the future.

1 Like