What is everybody's 2022 colubrid pairings?

Here is a list of mine. I don’t have many pairs, but I’m getting their! :sweat_smile:

Popcorn (butter) x Romeo (amber tessera)
Marmalade (Ultramel tessera pos het anery & diffused) x Quicksilver (snow)
Lightning (snow) x Quicksilver (snow)
Margarita (amel) x Romeo (amber tessera)

I also just bought a juvenile extreme reverse okeetee male to go to my extreme reverse okeetee female that will be ready to pair in 2023. She’s only 205 grams right now, so I’m not comfortable breeding her next year even though the waits going to kill me, lol.

4 Likes

I’m super excited to be pairing my kzn t+ albino house snake pair in the next 6 months. Hoping to get two clutches off them in 2022

10 Likes

So gonna do the same pairing I did last year I think. My Anery girl with my Tessera male.

Then also have my Tessera snow girl ready and she will either be bred to the same Tessera male OR male snow. I’m not sure which though. Do I go for optimal Tessera possibilities or go for optimal snow?

6 Likes

My plans were my two hognose pairings—

1.0 snow x 0.1 normal (green phase)
1.0 lavender het albino x 0.1 red albino

Except my green phase normal female decided to become gravid again and is laying slugs. Maybe I can squeeze a male in with her for the inevitable second clutch, but it’s still frustrating because I don’t know if I can put her through brumation after this and breed her again, at the time I planned to.
I guess if she puts back on the weight and is healthy it should be fine? She eats like there’s no tomorrow so I’m not terribly concerned about her.

4 Likes

I personally would breed the snow tessera to the tessera male, cause I just love some snows :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@reptilelover0456

So if I breed my snow tessera girl to my normal Tessera male I won’t have guaranteed snows. If I breed her to my snow male I’d have guaranteed snows but not guaranteed Tessera.

1 Like

I don’t have any pics, but I’m hoping to pair a dh sunburst hognose to a conda het albino to hopefully make albino condas that are het for sunburst, then to possibly hold back one or two of the babies to eventually make conda and superconda sunbursts.

4 Likes

Maybe even mix in a bit of pink pastel down the line to make super bright pink patternless snakes.

2 Likes

If you breed your snow tessera girl to your snow you would have guaranteed tessera, because tessera is a co-dominant gene. So no matter what you breed anything with tessera in it you are going to get tessera. If you bred your snow tessera to your normal tessera male, you could get some super tesseras which can only be proven out “super” if bred because if you produced a super tessera anything you breed it with will result in 100% tessera. I hope this makes sense.

Here are the results of each of those pairings

(snow tessera x normal tessera)

(snow tessera x snow)

2 Likes

@reptilelover0456

Last year breeding my Tessera male to my Anery female I ended up with two normal, one Amel, and one Tessera. So while I’m sure I’d get some Tessera with the snow tessera female and snow male, it wouldn’t be the full clutch. That’s what I’m trying to decide on.

3 Likes

If I can find them western hognose yetixyeti and western hognose super arctic x anaconda

1 Like

I’ve got some weighing to do to find out whether either of my two females are up the breeding weight yet, but I have a 2.2 group of Black African House Snakes (Boaedon fuliginosus):

I’ve observed a lock between these two Brown Kukri Snakes (Oligodon purpurascens). CB Tioman Island Red x LTC Mainland Brown. I’ve also got an LTC Mainland Brown x LTC Mainland Brown pairing together but no locks seen yet. Eggs from the Red x Brown pairing should drop in the middle of November and hatch in January, if it all goes well.

Possibly some African Egg Eaters (Dasypeltis gansi) from a LTC 1.2 group.

Hopefully something from my mess of Variable Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis leonis/thayeri/whatever). This peachy/orange Leonis phase laid this year but it was all slugs. I have 2.2 pure Thayeri and 3.2 Thayeri x Ruthven (albino crossed in) but not all up to breeding age/size.

Also have 1.1 False Water Cobras double het for Recessive Hypo and Lavender but they’re not up to size yet.

Same goes for 1.1 Cape House Snakes double het for T- Albino and Blue Eye.

7 Likes

im planning on breeding snakes for the first time this spring i have an ablino conda male and female ablino so hopefully that goes to plan their currently brumating

3 Likes

These are all so cool! A lot of my favorite snake species are on that list.

3 Likes

Same here! in 2022, it’ll be my first time breeding snakes. I’ll also be breeding hognoses.

2 Likes

Oh cool! Like which ones? I mostly like to keep smaller/wierd stuff. I know the Falsies aren’t small, but they’re so funky and so SMART! Such intelligent snakes!

Kukris remind me of mini Falsies. They’re both very watchful and not easily fooled! Most snakes forget you’re there if you sit very still, but neither the Kukris or Falsies fall for that!

2 Likes

My favorite snakes on your list are kukri snakes, egg eaters, false water cobras, and cape house snakes. I didn’t know that kukris were that smart, I knew falsies were, so until I have space for falsies kukris might make a good choice (unfortunately they can’t be handled but they’d still be neat display animals). I’m hoping to get cape house snakes as one of my first few snake species (my first will likely be a sand boa).

2 Likes

This is a dream display snake for sure!

2 Likes

You can actually handle them if you regularly and carefully handle them from a young age. I have seen pictures and heard that the snakes in question were “as docile as corn snakes” (multi generation captive bred Tioman Island Reds, if that helps).

However none of mine, nor the red here on breeding loan, want to know :joy: it’s hard enough hooking them to move them between enclosures for breeding purposes. The photos of the Reds being casually handled made me feel anxious :joy:

The only one I had which could be freely handled was one WC brown animal that arrived in poor health and died after 3 months of intensive care. It never attempted to bite at any point despite being handled for medicating.

I’d love to test a kukri against one of those slide-puzzle foraging toys for dogs. I’ve seen a falsie solve the puzzle. I think a kukri could do it too.

2 Likes

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I’m going to start researching this species since they are much more interesting than I originally thought.