What is my gecko morph

This is my blind leopard gecko and I don’t see any patterns on it. I was wondering what you guys though that my gecko morph might be.

4 Likes

Maybe @erie-herps or @mblaney can help.

3 Likes

Unless you know more about the genetic background, it’s not really possible. Based only on appearance, I’d say one of the 3 strains of albino is involved, and likely Blizzard as well. The other gecko is a Patternless based on appearance, possibly more.

If your gecko is blind at that age, it could be genetic, but it could also be from malnutrition or some other husbandry problem. Because it could be heritable, make sure you don’t breed it. Blind geckos can do great as pets when housed alone! :+1:

4 Likes

She is housed alone and was very underweight when I first got her. She weighed 4 grams when I got her a couple weeks ago and now she’s up to 8. I think that she has partial blindness because if I put a mealworm in her food bowl, she can eat it on her own, but we will see as she grows since she’s still young. I wasn’t planning on getting into breeding because I’m not experienced enough yet and I want to make sure that the ones I have now are healthy and happy in their separate habitats.

3 Likes

If you are wanting cool ‘likely’ morph name for her, just for yourself, I think it would be totally fair to think of her as a Blazing Blizzard (Blizzard + Albino).

I have had a blind gecko, and they really do quite well! I tried to keep the layout of their cage the same, with no sharp sticks or points. I mixed feeding from a bowl with food from tongs. And for enrichment, I added a tuft of dried, non-dyed, organic reindeer moss. It’s pretty soft, so it’s not dangerous if they bump into it, and many of my geckos like to push their moss balls around the tank.

3 Likes

Blazing blizzard seems about right to me too. @mblaney could the yellow on the body also be hypo? I honestly don’t know much, but just wondering :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The yellow color is a result of having parents with yellow, it’s selectively bred. ‘Hypo’ is a term that means the animal has fewer spots than usual on its body. All Blizzard and Patternless animals lack spots, so the term ‘Hypo’ isn’t used, because being spotless is a given. Blizzard and Patternless animals do not have spots because their morph is a pattern-removing morph (with the uncommon exception of Paradox spots, seen more often in Blizzards than in Patternless).

3 Likes

I have just noticed her toe looking like this this morning. I’m not sure if it’s bruising or what is going on. Can someone give me some input and what I can do to help.

3 Likes

It looks like your gecko caught its toe in something. It either caught it on the cage furniture/floor (more likely) or possibly had a difficult shed (very common but usually doesn’t present like that).

Keep an eye on it. It’s unlikely to cause a problem, but you should try and find where the problem spot in the enclosure is. If you are using Repti-Carpet, then switch to paper towels- Repti-Carpet type products can cause leopard gecko toes to get stuck.

Definitely make sure you start a new thread for each topic. :wink: When a thread is labeled as asking for help, people are likely to get to it sooner than a less urgent question, like morph ID.

Here is the User Guide for the forum (for tips). :wink:

Here is the forum FAQ, for more cool tips.

3 Likes

I woke up and she is actually shedding this morning so I’m guessing that’s what it is. Also, I realized that after I posted it

2 Likes

If shedding is the issue, it would be because of a past shed, not an upcoming one.

3 Likes