What is this?

I left this little creature after passing it but after some hours I came back for it, worried that it may get stepped on because it stopped in the center of the sidewalk.
What’s it called, should I put them back outside and try to put them in a safer area or keep them and take care of them forever?
What do they eat??

Also should these be in California or are they native to California?

3 Likes

Native!
Though the name doesn’t sound like it.

It’s a Jerusalem Cricket. They’re weird little guys.
Spooked me real good when the first one I met climbed on my sneaker one night.

And the adults like that don’t live very long, sadly. They’re kinda like our version of the cicada. The adults only live a couple of months.

3 Likes

With the eyes on the top of the head it looks like a camel spider.

3 Likes

That is a camel spider. The position of the eyes, color, and the mouth makes me almost positive it is a camel spider.

@boglike it is native. Very very cool find!

4 Likes

Yep that’s a camel spider!

2 Likes

I didn’t read the whole post sorry. they can make good pets but usually don’t live that long, around a year. they eat crickets, roaches, and other similar food items. they are very fun (and somewhat disturbing) to watch eat

3 Likes

Hahah, you guys are much better at this!
I need to stop looking at posts before having my caffeine in the morning. XD

4 Likes

When I first saw it I had the night mode thing (it turns off at 7 and I first saw the post at 6:55) on and it made the head section thing blend in perfectly to the background. I spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how people were’t seeing a roach of some kind. Then it turned off and then I almost started laughing. That wouldn’t have look very good to everyone who already hates me at my school and make people think I am even more “annoying” and weird.

3 Likes

Don’t worry Logan! We already really think you are weird and annoying here! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::blush::rofl:

Just kidding! You know I love you but I can’t speak for everyone else here! :blush::heart::sunglasses::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

lol :joy:, @logar we all love you :rofl:. Trust me, this family is filled with people who are a bit weird all around, like me :upside_down_face:

2 Likes