What morph is my Crested gecko!?

I got him a few months ago at a reptile show, he is definitely red or flame. With no description of his genetics and I would love to know what you think it is and what you would breed him with.
Thank you for the help!!!

1 Like

Red and cream partial quadstripe dalmatian (red and black spots). He is definitely red, but not a flame - flames have little to no pattern on their laterals (:
I don’t really find him to be breeder quality personally, but it depeds on what you are aiming for - Generally speaking, my best advice would be to figure out what you want to make, and then get geckos that fit your projects, and not the other way around (:

1 Like

Thank you for the help

I can’t see quadstripe, looks to be whiteout markings. But it’s hard to tell with these pics

1 Like

Why wouldnt he be considered breeding quality just out of curiosity as I have never bred geckos to gain some knowledge. Also if you had to breed him what would you pair him with?

What is and isn’t breeder quality is ultimately almost entirely personal - except for potential qol issues. Personally, I don’t think he’s of breeding quality because he doesn’t really have anything that you can’t easily find in a nicer gecko. His base colour is unimpressive, he’s got spots, his structure isn’t horrible but not great either, he’s got unimpressive pinning, his pattern isn’t really a nice colour. He doesn’t have anything unique or funky about him either that could be interesting to prove out. Overall he’s just very average, and there are so many average geckos out there already. So I can’t think of a breeding project where he’d be a good addition imo, but again, it’s about personal opinion! Im sure there’s some of my breeders that others wouldn’t consider breeder quality, but i have very specific ideas and goals for all of my pairings - So If there’s a specific thing about him you like in particular, you could start a project based around that and try to perfect it

Thank you for the knowledge.
I would like to make it more red and I do like the spots. What would you pair to make the red pop more. I have seen some red and cream geckos I have thought about buying to pair to maybe make the red and cream colors pop . Let me know what you think.
Thank you once again!!

Not sure if he’s fired in the pics. If so then you’d need a rather bright/vibrant red to try and get the red colour vibrant in the offspring.

For me, I don’t like spots on a patterned gecko so I’d breed with a phantom Dalmatian (with red spots) to try to get the pattern away.
If you were to breed him, the spots are very likely to pass on to the offspring and as spots on patterns are not desired ATM you’ll likely need to keep the offspring or be limited as to whom will be interested (eg breeders are not likely to be interested) and with the majority of average Geckos, it’s going to be harder to sell, but not impossible!

That being said…I do have a patterned Dalmatian with red spots that I adore, I just have him as pet and not a breeder as it’s not the direction I want to go in

2 Likes