What morph is my Leopard Gecko

So i bought my gecko from pet co so I don’t know if he’s anything special just from people yet i was also told he was too young in the posts so he is older and looks to he full grown so i want to know his morph just for fun and maybe in the future when i have more space i will get a female for him

2 Likes

Just a heads up- never breed a leopard gecko purchased from a pet store, especially a big box pet store. I’m really busy atm and in a rush, so I don’t have the time available to explain in detail, but basically it’s because you have no way to know his morph genetics, so he is considered ‘Pet Only.’ Any offspring he could produce would all be Pet Inly because they would also have unknown genetics. That said, I think he is gorgeous! I love the slight pattern on his head and mouth especially, and he has an impressive amount of ‘carrot’ in his tail. He looks like he is pleased because he know s something we silly humans don’t know, haha! But anywho- I would call his phenotypic morph ID Super Hypo Carrot Tail, with unknown genetic morph ID. (Many people shorthand this as SHCT.) I’d also say he’s a High Yellow, but a lot of folks won’t mention that part in morph ID. He really is a very clean Super Hypo!

4 Likes

I agree with all of this except the carrot tail part. Given that the base of the tail has some gray mixed in, I don’t think he would be carrot tail.
Either way, he is super cute.

2 Likes

Yes he is very cute

4 Likes

He looks like he’s impatient and waiting for food, haha.

On a serious note, I would recommend changing that substrate to something safer. Sand like that can cause respiratory, eye, and shedding issues. Paper towel, slate, and the glass bottom are all safer options, but if you are set on using a substrate, a packed mix of soil/coco fiber is best (but that also has numerous health risks, but is still safer than sand).

2 Likes

I’ve read online from multiple sources that the sand we got is one of the better substrates for leopard geckos

Nearly all sources I’ve read say that it’s a bad substrate. I’ve heard of many accounts where sand has seriously harmed leopard geckos. It’s better to change to something safe than take a risk on something for no real benefit.

1 Like

Ok its about time i change the sand so i’m gonna consult my parents about it

2 Likes

I agree for the same reasons. Too broken up, less than 10% of the tail is a solid band of orange.
Cute super hypo.
Almost a baldy. But as stated, pet quality with unknown genetics. The Super hypo baldy is also considered a line bred trait, not a actual mutation, so you can never guarantee any offspring will look like this from an animal with unknown lineage. Just more ‘pet’ geckos that may be varying levels of hypo or high yellow if you’re lucky, but that’s what a lot of pet stores carry as ‘normal’ now anyway.

Also agree with ditching the sand. If for some reason he’s not getting enough calcium or vitamins, he may start ingesting too much of the sand and become impacted.

3 Likes

He is such a little sweetheart! You have some great advice to keep him healthy and happy. And yes, just let him be a pet only and not a dad! :blush:

1 Like

Ok i set him up with paper towels the sand was hard to get out of his tank (It set off the fire alarm)

2 Likes

I’m glad that you got that fixed. But, I feel like it’s worth noting, if it created enough and thick enough dust to set off the fire alarm, imagine what would have happened to your gecko breathing that in all the time.

2 Likes

Yeah (I hate the 10 character thing)

1 Like

I’m going with super hypo carrot tail

1 Like