What new reptiles have you bought recently?

Any Lilly white in her? Looks like it.

2 Likes

Yeah she’s a tricolour Lilly :relaxed:

4 Likes

She is unreal!

3 Likes

Went to an expo yesterday and picked up a few.
Processing: 51365637-EC2E-48B8-ACD0-F0D3EFEDB23A.jpeg…
Uploading: 805E1A8A-260D-4049-8A13-2FA9A3254DFC.jpeg…

2 Likes

Hi @twinklecat1217, your pictures didn’t completely upload before you posted them. So you will have to edit and repost them :blush:. Thank you, I can’t wait to see them.

3 Likes

Some of my recent additions!

0.1 piebald

Bought her from someone I sold a snake to ages ago, she unfortunately had to sell her collection so I picked her up. Said she was a picky eater and wouldn’t touch live… got her setup in a quarantine bin with a hide and she ate a live mouse for me right away.

0.1 spider het clown

Got her from a recent expo. She’s very defensive and bitey though, hoping she calms down a bit and starts eating for me. She’s on the skinny side so I’m a tad bit concerned.

1.0 tpos albino ivory

Just picked up this handsome boy from the FedEx hub today. He’ll be a great boyfriend for my female normal het tpos! Was a sweet curious little guy as soon as I pulled him out of the bag.

16 Likes

Right now I have a spoted python I got at the end of December but I’m currently talking to someone about a super fly het clown bp I’ll probably have him in the next week or 2

3 Likes

Meet Revel! This lovely girl is my latest addition. She’s not at all accustomed to being handled and when I arrived to pick her up, she bit the guy, hung on and musked like crazy. I let her settle in the quarantine area for a week before feeding. Made sure to let her see and hear me a couple times daily. Got her out for feeding and she was extremely flighty but she didn’t try to bite or musk so I’m taking the win.

12 Likes

She’s adorable😁. What is she genetics wise?

3 Likes

Thanks. She’s a corn snake of course, genetically Red Factor, Anery, Hypo, and Stripe. The breeder doesn’t seem to ever list hets, so something else may pop when she’s old/big enough to breed. Honestly, her bald head and almost total lack of pattern (nothing at all on her sides) makes me think masque at minimum, likely diffusion or at least het.

4 Likes

I found something interesting at my local expo and since I had an extra tank laying around, I decided to get them, mourning geckos! They are super cool, cute, and tiny. They are a lot of fun to watch because they are super active and they chirp to communicate. I can’t wait to have a whole big group of them. I named them Dolly since I can’t tell them apart and I’m going to have clones of them. :rofl:

14 Likes

Sooooooo cute :heart_eyes:

Congrats on your new additions :+1:

I really want mourning geckos but I’m just not sure on the reproduction side of things and how to limit it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

They’re great, but escape artists!
One here got out again! :joy:
And you can keep with frogs, which is a bonus.

Also great name, I have a Dolly here (Crestie) :wink:

3 Likes

Nice! Those are the ones that are all female and reproduce asexually through parthenogenesis, right?

4 Likes

Yes, which is why I don’t have any

3 Likes

@foxreptile Thank you! I’ve been planning to get these for a while, I saw them for a good price so I got them. The only way to truly limit reproduction is to leave the eggs in there and let the adults eat some or dispose of the eggs. If you keep one female their reproduction is slower but they will still lay lots of eggs.

@ghoulishcresties I have them in a sliding enclosure (temporarily) and I stuffed paper towels in between the gap. It’s a good thing since I saw one sitting in between the doors. :rofl: They love hanging out in the gaps in the door tracks. They have a nice naturalistic enclosure and they want to sit in plastic door tracks. :rofl: I thought about keeping them with frogs but I don’t want the hassle of dealing with frogs when trying to collect gecko eggs and having more to worry about. I also don’t have a suitable arboreal area for geckos in the frog tank. I think I remember your Dolly, wasn’t she the one that laid a partho egg?

@jawramik Yes, there are extremely rarely (1:400-600) males but I don’t think they have any offspring or else one male would result in much more males. They lay a clutch of two eggs about once a month, so they are very fast reproducing.

I also purchased my first gecko on MorphMarket a couple months ago and it just got warm enough to ship. So, I’ll have a new arrival on Thursday. :grin: It’s a busy week here. :rofl:

7 Likes

Asexual reproduction in vertebrates is so wild. I know there are quite a few reptile species who are known to rarely produce partho babies, but it’s my understanding that those offspring normally don’t live very long, because that’s not how those species normally reproduce, so they don’t do very well without a genetic contribution from a male. But to have a species of lizard that ONLY reproduces via parthenogenesis is pretty mind-blowing. I remember when I first heard about mourning geckos doing that, I had to go check some other sources, because I didn’t quite believe it.

I didn’t know they they could produce males!

5 Likes

I’m still not sure how males are produced, unless they are all descended from a single male a long time ago. I think this is pretty interesting, even though I don’t know what it means. :rofl:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Inverted-DAPI-stained-karyotypes-of-the-mourning-gecko-Lepidodactylus-lugubris-LLU-3n_fig6_279884489

1 Like

Here’s my newest bp a superfly het clown

I will have some more photos after he settles in and takes his first meal

19 Likes

oooh, they’re triploid, that’s wild!

4 Likes