What paper do you use?

Sorry if I am putting this question in the wrong spot if so could the mods help me get it in the right spot but I am interested to know what paper everyone uses that keeps there snakes on paper. News paper, line paper, meat packing paper, packing paper ? I am thinking to switch to paper and just want to get the best I can afford. Thanks in advance for any input given.

2 Likes

I used to use nothing but shredded paper. Anything I got in the mail I shredded. Got the paper trash from work and shredded that as well. I currently use pure cypress mulch. But never had a problem with shredded paper. It was just a huge chore due to the size of my collection.

2 Likes

I use paper towels when using paper. Mostly I use cocoa fiber.

2 Likes

i use paper towels for the babies, reptichip now for everything else. but when i used paper i would order unprinted newspaper ( this way you don’t have to worry about the ink bleeding when it gets wet and dyeing yours animals fun colors). Also for i used reptizorb liners for awhile they work pretty good, but can be pricey

4 Likes

When I did use paper, I used just regular paper towel and/or newspapers. Paper towels and newspapers are quick to clean, lift by all the corners, keep everything contained and toss in the trash. But I prefer to use Coco blox or reptichip or cypress mulch depending on availability as they help maintain humidity for my snakes.

2 Likes

The reason I’m asking is I got mites somehow. I have had my snakes for several months with no mites then all the sudden 1 started bowl soaking then 2 then 3. The last was an albino so they were easy to see and I knew my problem but don’t know how I got them. After reading a ton of threads and watching so much you tube my eyes burned I figured they had to have come from the coco block bedding. Not sure if it was infested from the manufacturer or if the reptile shop I bought it from had mites and they some how got into it. I live in California so no shows for me to go and get them from any other ideas or theory’s how I may have got them I would love to here them Thanks .

1 Like

I’ve seen most people either use newspaper, paper towels (mainly for hatchlings though), or repti-zorb liners

3 Likes

@chitown54 If your dealing with a mite problem I would probably just use paper towels. Your going to need to be cleaning the enclosures and surrounding area as often as possible. So you will be changing them out a lot.

2 Likes

I use 50 lb bogus paper from Uline. It comes in 18" wide rolls of 750 ft. It isn’t as expensive as it might be for others, as I live close enough to the distribution center to pick it up. So I don’t have to pay shipping charges.

1 Like

I think you mean coconut fiber lol not cocoa.

1 Like

:smile: yes, coconut. LOL chocolate :snake: could be a thing.

3 Likes

Hahaha new project

1 Like

When treating for mites, any solid white paper will be best. You will easily spot anything that needs addressed. Paper towels are nice and absorbent, and obtained locally as needed, though 2020 has a bit of an impact on availability (sorry guys, had to say it!). I do like to add at least one item to the enclosure of a textured feel to help aid in shedding, such as a rock-shaped water dish. Catching a fresh shed can help reduce numbers of mites. Every little effort can make a difference. Avoid adding anything porous that mites might survive in (half log hides, for example).

2 Likes

People who use paper substrate, what kind do you use and what form do you buy it in?

1 Like

I use single ply cage liners, so pre-cut, some not. I get them from Charles Lamb.

2 Likes

I use newspaper that my mother gets in large quantities from her work. Sometimes get it from my neighbors since they still buy newspapers.

2 Likes

I use newspaper and paper towel. The newspaper comes free in the mail and I spend about $1/wk on regular old rolls of paper towels.

2 Likes

I use unprinted newspaper from Amazon! 5lbs for $10. I have humidity issues (too high), and these work great!
Cheaper than paper towels too!

3 Likes

I’ve got terrestrial geckos, mostly leos, and I keep most of them on paper towel. I’ve tried a lot of other things, but thus far it’s still working the best, given the prey I feed (often caterpillars).

4 Likes

I agree with @mblaney that paper towels is the best substrate for Leopard Geckos and many other gecko species. When I spoke about paper cage liners, I was referring to using them for snakes. I also use paper towels for newly born animals and for raising baby sand boas.

4 Likes