What reptile frightens you the most?

I’ve never been afraid of reptiles but I have a healthy respect for things that can kill me. Like gators/crocs (my fav reptiles) and venomous snakes. Both live nearby and I would be nervous if I saw a venomous snake where I walk my dogs and I avoid ponds.

We recently had a scare when a copper head bit one of the dogs. The dog ended up fine after getting anti-venom, but that’s not an experience I want to repeat. It was disheartening to hear the vet be surprised we wanted the anti-venom. Most people say no because it can get expensive to treat.

3 Likes

Komodo Dragons are actually venomous! https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/5/komodo-dragon-venom/#:~:text=Komodo%20dragons%20kill%20using%20a,confirmed%20for%20the%20first%20time.&text=Researchers%20have%20long%20thought%20that,bacteria%20in%20the%20dragon’s%20saliva.

2 Likes

Scolopendra centipedes.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I’m frightened of any reptiles. With instructions and space I don’t think there’s a single species that I wouldn’t keep (maybe it’s just me being young and stupid, lol). However there are plenty of reptiles that I respect. Especially hot snakes (black mamba, cobras, etc.), hot tarantulas (Poecilotheria, Atracidae, etc.), and S. dehaani (mainly because they’re painful even if they aren’t super dangerous).

1 Like

Viewed in a safe manner, I wouldn’t say I’m “afraid” of any reptile or invert. I pretty much find all species interesting and enjoy looking at them.

However, finding any of the serious hots or large predatory reptiles in my yard or near my children or pets would be very frightening. It’s one of the things that makes me hesitant to go herping in Arizona, since I would undoubtedly be bringing my kids and I would not want to find any rattlesnakes. We have scorpions aplenty all around (and sometimes in) my house and even though I think they’re cool, I frequently have stress dreams about them!

3 Likes

Not certain that I would be scared of a reptile in the back yard as long as I can see it and be aware of it. I’ve been confronted in very close quarters with various venomous snakes from the US. Working in a valve vault in New Mexico and had a rattlesnake crawl across my boots and down a hole. Had a rattlesnake strike my calf in New Mexico and hang up in my uniform pants (USAF). Luckily I had tall leather lineman’s boots on. Woke up in Arizona with one looking at me. Had too many water moccasin episodes to recount in Louisiana and Texas.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m kinda creeped out by elephant trunk snakes. Their weird skin is freaky. The babies are pretty cute though. I do find it fascinating how aquatic they are.

2 Likes

Same! They are a little bit creepy but still they are fascinating!

1 Like

Aw man, I think they’re adorable! But I love any of the weirder species, especially ones with wrinkles!

2 Likes