What reptile is this?

Does anybody know what type of reptile this is??
I saw it when I was looking at reptiles ppl were trying to rehome. The guy that owned it didn’t even know what it was…it looks kind of like a leopard gecko but there isn’t a chunky tail, and it’s not a regenerated tail either.

4 Likes

It looks so much like a leopard gecko but the thing that is throwing me off is the almost lack of scales look.

It may be worth picking up, at least to just get it into a good home if needed as some people look at these kind of posts to try and get a cheap pet that will ultimately suffer in their care.

2 Likes

Man I wish I could. I just looked at the location, and they are further than I’m willing to drive.

I noticed the almost lack of scales too…it’s so strange. I’ve seen something like it before, but I just can’t think of the name!

1 Like

Same! I know I have seen something like this before but I just can’t place by finger on it

2 Likes

Ok, so after a frantic late night MM and getting distracted two times, I believe it is one of the Coleonyx variegatus (western banded gecko) subspecies. It would also make sense as they are native to the U.S. meaning that the guy probably caught him and took him in which would explain why he doesn’t know what it is

1 Like

Okay! I googled that name and searched it up on MM, but…I can’t seem to find it. Do you possibly have a picture?

Thanks so much @logar Logan!

Also, the man said in the post “I could possibly get one or two more” which means he might be catching them like you said!

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you @nswilkerson1 Nathan… :joy::joy: I don’t know why those didn’t show up for me. I did search the scientific name though…so that’s probably why. That’s what it looks like. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Looks like an obese banded gecko. We have them here in California. They’re a much more slender lizard than that normally.

6 Likes

This is absolutely a Coleonyx variegatus, I kept one for years. Miss that little tank

I will correct you here, the tail is definitely a regen. The scalation is wrong for it to be the original. Also, I can see the break point

2 Likes

Yup. Agree with this being a banded gecko.
:+1:

1 Like