What to do about shady buyers?

Usually we talk more about shady sellers on here, but what about shady buyers? I’ve got someone interested in one of my snakes, but their MM store page raises some red flags for me and I’m not really sure how to go about refusing to sell my snake to them without seeming sketchy myself. What do you all do in these situations? I was supposed to do a local pickup with them today, which I agreed to before looking deeper into their page and getting those weird vibes, so I’m not sure how to turn around and tell them that I would rather not sell my snake to them now. I could also just be looking too deep into things and their just normal reptile buyers and sellers…but I don’t really want to take the risk, and I can’t report them for anything because there really isn’t much proof other than me feeling off about them.

3 Likes

I would say you should refuse sale. If you have an off feeling, then don’t continue to with the sale.

OR

Ask them questions about why you feel unsure to sell to them. For instance why is your name different on your page then when you introduce yourself? Or why is your location for your store different then the met up area (far off)

I hope that this help

9 Likes
  • Keep in mind that we cannot mention names of businesses or people. It is against forum guidelines
6 Likes

All the information on their page seems legit, I just feel like their a flipper based on what their selling and the prices they are trying to sell their snakes at. I could be overthinking this like I said, but I’m just not sure what to tell them.

3 Likes

Well, flipping snakes is not wrong…personally I don’t believe that it is a practice that helps the hobby. If you, as a seller, don’t want to sell to someone that could possibly be a flipper then don’t. It is your right as a seller. It is your choice.

7 Likes

I’m just not sure how to go about telling them that I no longer want to sell my snake to them after I was just fine selling it to them last night. How do I go about doing that without seeming shady myself? That’s my main issue. I’m a new seller so I don’t want to get a bad reputation right out the gate you know?

4 Likes

Well because I am not a seller (yet) and only know the ethics of selling, I can’t give you personal experience based info. So that will be others place of experience, so I will tag a few. @chesterhf @osbornereptiles @ghoulishcresties and @gem

1 Like

This is very much a personal opinion, but I think if someone is giving you weird “vibes” than that’s a perfectly fine reaason to cancel a sale. You’re under no obligation to sell to someone just because they are interested and as long as no money has changed hands it should be fine to call it off (just refund any deposit if they’ve given any).

As far as telling them I think it’s best to be upfront - “I’m sorry I no longer feel comfortable proceeding with this sale due to _____”

7 Likes

And that also gives them the possibility that they could also address the issue.

7 Likes

Thank you! I’m not sure how I’d tell them that I don’t feel comfortable selling my snake to them because I think that they’re a flipper, but I could probably think of something.

4 Likes

I’ve had this with selling my Cresties before. Oh I’ve had some right strange people! There’s a few ways I you could deal with them I suppose. One being that I’ve simply told them ‘Im very sorry but I’m keeping now’ that way you don’t have to explain any further if you really don’t want too. You’re allowed to change your mind! I’ve done this in the past when I had very pushy people… Something wasn’t right to me.
With others I’ve said I asked more questions if I feel they’re wanting to make money by selling on again, and if I still feel uncomfortable selling I’ll tell them.
Simply say that i’m sorry but i’m not happy going forward with the sale of said animal as i‘ve looked into them and can see that they’re making money off selling them on later on. (Happened to me before).
Or simple tell them, that you’re sorry but you’re no longer happy selling said animal to them. If they ask why and you don’t want to explain yourself, don’t. Just say you’ve changed your mind, or feel you’ve found a better home elsewhere.
You do not have to explain yourself if you’re not happy!
I have anxiety so hate when people start getting funny, gets me worked up! If I get people like that which I have done, I tell them I’m allowed to change my mind considering I’m the one raising the animal. Usually don’t get a reply after!

10 Likes

That’s a good idea, thank you!

4 Likes

Do whatever you feel is in the animals best interest.

7 Likes

I have only just started breeding and haven’t got to the sales side, but I agree with what has already been said.

I would also be too nervous to say why as you don’t know what their reaction would be.

But I’d suggest following your gut! They are your reptiles. Either ask more questions to see if that helps you feel better or try to let them down gently (incase they are genuine).

Something like: I’ve decided I can’t part with… Or… I’m just not sure I’m ready to part with…

4 Likes

I largely agree with @chesterhf
If I get any red flags from an inquiry that give me pause I’ll address them directly, and if I’m not happy with the prospective buyer’s response I’ll pull the plug as politely as possible. There’s too much at risk, in terms of animal welfare, and sometimes mere money. Poor, inconsistent, or rude communication is a huge red flag, for me. That applies to buying and selling, for me, personally.

6 Likes

Thanks @gem for giving your insight. Know that it is appreciated.

3 Likes

It’s been a long time since I sold any reptiles, but I’m going to have to soon! By this time next month we’ll be in the neighborhood of 60 or so, in total. 5 crested geckos, the rest snakes.

4 Likes

Well good luck I hope they sell well.

1 Like

This is partly why I hadn’t bred reptiles till now, we want more snakes but the selling side of it is a bit scary :flushed:

1 Like

Don’t worry too much.
You will more than likely have to deal with some wallys, but just think, you helped bring those babies into the world, therefore you get to choose their family!
Touch wood I’ve only found lovely people who have had cresties off of me. Infact the same woman who had one of my 5 months old off of me a few weeks ago is having one of my adult females Saturday! She’s lovely and the females have a massive viv!

5 Likes