What to get for my first Tarantula?

Going to go look at some T’s on Friday and was wondering if I should go with a curly hair or a Red Rump? There’s also a Caribena versicolor available but was pretty interested in the other two that are available.

3 Likes

Personally, for a beginner T I would recommend getting a curly hair. Pretty good growth rate, not real prone to hair kicking, super sturdy spider.

I’d stay away from the C versicolor as a beginner.

4 Likes

Ya I was leaning more into the Curly Hair. Heard great things about them. Any specific reason to stay away from the versicolor though?

3 Likes

They have a tendency to suddenly die. For seemingly unknown reasons. Their care isnt real forgiving.

4 Likes

That’s pretty odd! I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

We have 3 :sweat_smile:

A couple friends have adult ones too and all good!

Ours are around 2/3+ cm atm so only lil. But doing brill! Growing well and so pretty :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Ever had any problems with them?

2 Likes

They’re only small atm but going amazing so far! As are all the rest :sweat_smile:

Friends who have them also are doing fab. No issues.

Can’t wait til older as we want to keep a female. And get her a tall planted out viv :black_heart:

They’re all in smaller enclosures atm with a plant, bowl etc :blush:

3 Likes

Decisions decisions :thinking: they all look and sound like neat creatures, so hard to make a final decision :man_shrugging::joy:

2 Likes

I would go terrestrial for first. More docile!
Black Brazilian are beautiful just to throw out there, another I own! Or the red and white! :black_heart:

Arboreal seem to be… Buggers let’s say :joy:

3 Likes

That’s what I wanted was a terrestrial. Most likely will end up with the curly hair.

3 Likes

They’re beautiful, and docile too so will be great for handling :relaxed:

3 Likes

The breeder I’m going to see has red rump’s, curly hair, bird eaters and versicolors. Wanted to jump on the bird eater because of it’s size but I know how aggressive they can get/be. Red rump and curly hair are what I’m stuck between right now.

2 Likes

Well thank you for the info and fast response :grin::smiley:

3 Likes

Just remember that a lot of terrestrial t’s are basically pet holes for a long time growing up!

5 Likes

Going to be a hard choice! Both lovely and calm… Curly hair usually cost more if that comes into the choice too.

Colour wise obviously red rump is lush… but the curly hairs cute :joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

They are! Another reason I can’t wait until they’re older, seem to be out more then :grin:

3 Likes

Yep I know. Not looking to handle it too often. I’ve just always wanted one since I was a kid and now I have the chance to add to my collection. I currently have a normal wild type BP, Male normal corn snake and two Leo’s. Trying to expand my horizons by getting into invertebrates as well.

3 Likes

The Lasiodora parahybana is also a great starter T if you want one with a lot of size to it as an adult. They rank up there is the Theraphosa’s. But they are extremely laid back and grow really fast.

2 Likes

Ya I’m not looking to order anything until I have more experience with T’s. I have a local reptile/invertebrates breeder who owns his own shop about 35 minutes from me so I’ll be sticking with what he has to offer.

2 Likes