What types of herps do you gravitate towards?

I recently came up with the idea to do this. I looked through my list of herps I plan to keep, and tried to figure out what categories they all generally fit into. By doing that, I realized I tended to gravitate towards arboreal and semi arboreal reptiles. I encourage y’all to do this too, just because it’s kind of a fun thing to do. Once you figure it out, post it on here!

3 Likes

Cresties. Arboreal :sweat_smile:
It will always be Cresties, recently added a gargoyle too. Our dart frogs climb also. Our monitor climbs. I think I’m in the same boat as you there! There’s just so many!

2 Likes

I’d be hard put to decide that. I love terrestrial snakes and geckos and arboreal geckos a bit more.

2 Likes

To be more specific with the arboreal stuff, I mean boas, carpet pythons, gtps, etbs, tree monitors, tree frogs, oophaga, which tend to be more arboreal than other dart frogs, and nearly all arobreal geckos.

2 Likes

Also, arboreal colubrids, which I forgot to include on there.

2 Likes

Pythons (royals, stimsons, burms, retics) or weird dirt snakes (kenyan sand boa, arabian sand boa, calabar boa, sunbeam). And for non-snakes, geckos are my favorite. I tend to gravitate towards the lower maintenance ones like new cals or mournings

3 Likes

Most stuff in general except for pythons, most boas and most geckos (except a species or two here and there).

I like Colubrids and venomous snake wise and Agamids/Iguanas are among my fav lizards.

4 Likes

Oh, and also antaresia

3 Likes

I definitely gravitate towards snakes over other reptiles or herps. Something about the clean lines and leglessness is very appealing to me. Plus I enjoy holding them more than leggy creatures. I also gravitate towards things with easier care.

Of the snakes I like, I love the look of anything unique, especially if they’re derpy or cute. I find heat pits kind of unsettling, so that rules out a lot of otherwise cool snakes.

3 Likes

Big snakes are my thing. I love boas and retics. For me, it is about working with their brains. Moving with them not you moving them. I do think that I am going to breed hognose snakes because they are an exception with that face, ease of care, and attitude.

As for the ones that have legs, crested geckos are cool but other then that geckos don’t really catch my attention besides their colors. Dart frogs are really the only amphibians that are really interesting to me so maybe I can keep those. I don’t really like lizards besides monitors, but I definitely can see myself owning a monitor one day.

So I guess where I am right now in my taste for reptiles, I feel like I probably fall on the side of snakes a lot more often because I like to work with snakes and not have to wrestle with legs and claws. Also I find them a lot more fun to handle. Every snake keeper knows what a snake hat is.

2 Likes

When it coms to big snakes, I’m kinda weird, because I don’t love normal big snakes, but I do really love smaller versions of larger snakes like dwarf burms and super dwarf retics.

3 Likes

I will probably get into children’s pythons because of their small size and crazy attitude.

3 Likes

Those are some of the reasons why I want to get into them. I only wish that they had more morphs available in the U.S.

2 Likes

I like the unique animals. I started with leos and cresties to dip my toes in the reptile breeding world and I LOVE IT. Leos and cresties are awesome (and I’ll still keep and breed them) and other than day geckos not many other (small, excluding monitors) gecko/lizard species interest me (but there are some, like gargoyles). I haven’t kept snakes yet but I will likely start breeding sand boas and then work with house snakes and hognoses (also maybe milksnakes, or just one as a pet). Once I have experience I’ll likely work with pythons, colubrids, etc. and see what I like best.

3 Likes

Oh man. This is a really great question.

Geckos. Leopard, crested, fat tail, gargoyle, etc. they absolutely fascinate me.

I like looking at lizards, and love our beardies, but I’m not sure I’d get any more.

Snakes, mostly pythons, especially ball pythons. I also adore our boa. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread but it looks fun.

I personally gravitate towards large and/or intelligent reptiles and toads/salamanders. For example, my top dream herps are a yellow headed water monitor, an Argus monitor, yellow tailed cribo (can’t get on the eastern indigo train :man_shrugging:), Aldabra tortoise, and Mexican beaded. For amphibians, all I really want is for my toads to breed so I can have an army of toads. I love toads :rofl:

2 Likes

I tend to lean towards Cresties, but I also think I like reptiles that have lots of different morphs, because it’s fun to see how the morphs interact, and there’s more colors to choose from, like Bps, Boa Constrictors, Corn Snakes, Cresties, just anything that has a lot of variation in how they can look.

2 Likes

I tend toward the strange and under-represented:

Rhamphiophis
Pseudaspis
Oligodon
Candoia
Simalia
Charina

3 Likes

I gravitate mostly towards snakes. Doesn’t mean I’ll never keep any lizards, but I’m definitely more drawn to snakes. And as far as snakes go, I’ve noticed that I seem to be most drawn to the boa and python families. There are a few species outside of those families that really appeal to me (namely house snakes and false water cobras), but overall, most of my favourite snakes are boas and pythons. I currently have a Kenyan sand boa, a blood python, and a BI. I also love burms, retics, olives, GTPs, STPs, carpets, womas, blackheads, Emeralds, ATBs, and anacondas. Not all of those are things I realistically plan on keeping, but I love them.

As far as lizards go, I really love monitors. Which is the main reason I don’t have any lizards, because I’d have a hard time finding space for even the smallest of monitors. But I’d love to keep a few monitor species if I’m ever in the position to do so. Also love tegus, but…same problem.

3 Likes

For me, I am totally in love with Leopard geckos and corn snakes. I REALLY want a hognose but can’t get one in Colorado unless I go catch it and they are not where I live. Someday a ball python, maybe. Right now, I can’t have any more :cry: Hubby says enough.

4 Likes