What works best?

I have seen people use Perlite, Vermiculite, or even a 50/50 mix of both. What is the better option and why? I’ve read that a 50/50 mix will give you the best of both worlds.
Looking more into it I have seen people putting the eggs directly into the substrate and some putting them on light diffusers. Wouldn’t putting them directly on/in the substrate make them more prone to mold? I personally like the idea of the light diffusers, but I have seen/heard equal success either way.
What is your take and why? I’m interested in knowing why people do what they do to help develop a method to use myself.

2 Likes

I am super interested to see everyone’s responses. Personally, I think that it comes down to user preference for both the type of substrate and the method. But I would love to hear everyone :relaxed:.

2 Likes

There is no “best”. All work the same, it is just personal preference. As long as the tub is sealed to keep the humidity up and the eggs do not get wet, this is the main goal. You can even use wet paper towels, sponges, or just water, press n seal, a container that keeps moisture out (does the same in reverse) *some of these options will need something to keep the eggs dry and some will need to be changed out just before hatching. Any of what you listed would be the least amount of work. Just water you would have to keep an eye on it and change it out to wet paper towels before hatching. (A lot might be against this option for fear of drowning and more work involved).

4 Likes

Personal I have used water with light defuser. Currently thinking to switch to sponges and light defuser. Less mess, easier to maintain, less worry. Testing different ways let you know what works for you.

3 Likes

I personally use hatchrite (premixed perlite) and put the eggs directly on the substrate, seal with press n seal. I will likely switch to normal perlite and mix it myself to save cost with the more clutches I produce

4 Likes

I use wet paper towels, light diffuser, press n seal. Pull the press n seal on day 50.

As long as the box stays humid, and the eggs aren’t in direct contact with moisture, it’s hard to get it wrong. Ball pythons are one of the simplest animals to reproduce that I’ve ever worked with. Don’t overthink it, just do what you’re comfortable with.

5 Likes

I used to use vermiculite, on a diffuser. But switched to perilite on a diffuser. Reason less mess, I use 7 cups of perilite to 3 cups water. Never a issue with either substrates. I am one of those bad people though who cut my eggs, after I cut I then just put the eggs on damp paper towels for the last couple of days in the incubator, just so the babies aren’t digging around in the substrate. No real good reason for that, just less mess and the way I have always done it.:+1:

3 Likes

I probably can’t even list all the methods I’ve tried: light diffuser and water, vermiculite and light diffuser, vermiculite/perlite and light diffuser, hatch rite, buried in vermiculite, buried in vermiculite/perlite, reptichip, in 6qt/15qt tubs with and without press n seal, deli/display cups.

My bottom two choices are hatch rite and any method with press n seal. Hatch rite I just always seemed to find myself adding more water. Press n seal just always seemed too wet and condensation on the eggs.

I did have a hatchling come out of its egg a little bit early once and (my theory) caught it’s umbilical cord/yolk on the light diffuser and ended up basically pulling everything out, so I won’t use a light diffuser anymore for that reason.

This year I’m experimenting with eggs in 96 oz deli cups, primarily to maximize space in the incubator, with vermiculite and with reptichip. So far everything is doing well. I think I am preferring the reptichip experiment however. I feel like I am less worried about the eggs getting wet/soaked from the substrate and it’s a great use of the leftover bedding.

3 Likes

Im hearing mixed feelings towards the press and seal and I was worried that like you said could cause condensation to build up and get the eggs wet, but also worried if I use just a snap on lid if it would allow the humidity to escape. I was looking to order the IRIS tubs off amazon and just use them as is.

2 Likes

I just use the plain sterilite shoebox size. I have never used press and seal though. I know a lot of people do and never have issues though. I think just make sure your incubator is good temp wise, mix your substrate and water, keep it in the incubator till you get some eggs to put in it. You should be good, just monitor temp and check on the humidity and eggs every couple weeks.

2 Likes

If you’re worrying about condensation getting on the eggs you can put something small (like a wooden dowel, a couple small rocks, or a deli cup lid) under one side of the incubating container so the condensation will roll down the side instead of falling on the eggs.

2 Likes

I’ve never had a single problem with it across several hundred hatchlings. I’ve been using it since 2017. JKR uses this method as well and he hatches a couple more clutches a year than I do lol. I had occasional desiccation issues before I started using it, haven’t had them again since.

If you’re getting a lot of condensation on your tubs in your incubator you don’t have enough airflow/air mixing. Condensation requires warm air and a cold surface. Lack of air mixing is causing one or more sides of your tub to be the “cold” surface. There is going to be a minor amount of condensation on the tubs but if it’s raining or collecting in large drops the issue is with your incubator not the hatch tub.

6 Likes

I think a lot with press-n-seal comes down to where you live and what’s humidity you can hold in the incubator room. Incubating in the dry summers in California I’ve found that the press-n-seal is pretty much required. Even lifting up a small corner of it and the eggs start to dry out in my experience.

3 Likes