What would be your dream animal?

I’d love a gharial! They’re so strange-looking, with their super long skinny snouts and buggy eyes. I love them. :heart:

2 Likes
  1. Japanese Giant Salamander. I would get a huge tank for it and keep it in my living room.

2. really big lobsters.

3. Mimic Octopus

4. Flying Fox

5. Raven or Crow

6. Eagle Owl

7. some sort of tiny owl

I have no interest in large predatory mammals. But why are there no reptiles on the list? Because I pretty much have access to all the reptiles I would want. Except for a Perentie.

1. Perentie
6 Likes

Cuttlefish!!!

4 Likes

Its not a crocodile but I did get to play with my veterinarian friends alligator Gates when ever I wanted. These pics are from 2004 when i had hair. :joy: I would use Gates in educational shows i use to do. I would just leave him under some moving blankets and he wouldn’t move. It was always funny when i uncovered him as people where sitting right next to him. Unfortunately Gates passed away i believe in 2007 or 2008.

First time i meet Gates i was checking out my vets snakes for the first time. Heard a noise in the hallway of his clinic and Gates came around the corner and walked up to me and put his head on my foot and was like pet me. He did not have a cage at the old clinic and just roamed the halls and lived in the staff brake room. Funny dogs and cats would just walk right by him and he would move. Summer time he lived in the pond behind the clinic. They did loose a few chickens sometimes. :rofl:

10 Likes

I was wondering what do alligators feel like? I saw an albino alligator at the Reptile Zoo in Fountain Valley ( ive known jay since he started) anyways the alligator almost didnt look real i want so bad to just touch it maybe one day ill get to safely of course.

4 Likes

Hmm anything. I would want a pet dolphin. I would swim with it every day, probably live in the pool with it LOL this is Trainer For a Day At Sea World before they did away with it. Epic time playing with different animal species

r

4 Likes

That’s awesome! It sounds like he had a great personality!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree with you more luckily I live in a part of ca (witch I have a different very political name for) I don’t understand much of the law but it’s some bs about them being and endangered invasive species witch in itself makes no sense. Tbh i think it’s just another way to control its residents

2 Likes

Let’s try to keep this topic to its original intent. Politics is among one of the things that our community tries to lean away from due to it’s usually toxic influence.

7 Likes

Of course i definitely didn’t intend to get into that. When it comes to opinions there are as many different ones as there are people.

I started this to see what animal(s) they would want if barriers for ownership were removed. Ive had many dream animals that id love to own but of course they are just pipe dreams like wanting to have a large saltwater aquarium pool that i could swim with and go below to watch the fish. A pool like that would incredibly expensive to maintain so its just a fantasy, we all can dream.

3 Likes

For me probably my own horse. I’ve been riding for almost five years and my trainer says I’ve progressed very nicely. I’ve started doing shows. In a few years I plan on moving to Texas and getting a horse once I’m settled. :blush:

4 Likes

I thought once id move to the county and get a horse that could pull my wheelchair :joy:.

I went to eqine therapy and it was so peaceful, at first all of the animals were afraid of my wheelchair, some even refused to go as the keeper was trying to pull the reigns. What was amazing is that after the animals felt my energy they loved me and every single horse and donkey ran to the end of the enclosure as if to say goodbye as i left.

4 Likes

Extinct would be Kaprosuchus. A 30-foot long crocodilian that is believed to have ran on all fours like a wolf.

Living would be a komodo dragon

1 Like

I think my dream animal might be either a sea snake (any species would be awesome), or giant red velvet mites (specifically Trombidium grandissimum).

Sea snakes require lots and lots of space, and any individuals people try to keep captive apparently end up hiding in the darkest corner of the tank for their entire existence. If there was a way I could keep a sea snake healthy and happy, by golly I would want one. They seem to have amazing personalities.

As for the mites, just about nobody cares about or likes them (at least not enough to want to attempt to have any healthy, happy captive ones). I find them fascinating though, and I’ve been temporarily keeping some local Trombidiidae to send to an acarologist friend later. I’ve kept them in old pill containers filled with damp paper towel shreds for simplicity and ease of use for my friend when he recieves them, but I don’t provide them food (upon his suggestion). I’ve heard they usually eat small arthropods (such as springtails), as well as larger ones’ larvae and eggs, but I’ve personally never seen it confirmed. If only non-parasitic mites were extensively studied and known about. Then maybe I could confidently keep some as pets. But alas.

1 Like

I just love being in the presence of horses they are so amazing and majestic!! :blush:

1 Like

So just to throw a different shade of light on this. Im not a massive fan of CA, but i do know that Axylotyls are beyond critically endangered to the point there are more in captivity than there are in the wild ( there is an estimated 700-1200 remaining in the wild).

So in that sense, it would seem like a ban on them is good, until you realize all the ones in the wild exist in 1 place and that number continues to drop. Captive breeding is really the Axylotyls only hope of a poulation recovery at this point.

Here is the awful truth for anyone who wishes to read up on it. Hope for the Axolotl

2 Likes

I would own a protocerarops in a heartbeat. Also probably an otter. I would never own an otter in real life though for quite obvious reasons.

3 Likes

If dinosaurs count as animals I would definitely want a pterodactyl.

1 Like

My favorite animal in general is the blonde rubber duckie isopod but a reptile i would like is a marshmallow tegu

I’m apparently here thanks to a robot. :no_mouth:
I’d be down for a fox and jellyfish.
One of the first things I got after moving out of Cali were a couple ferrets. My buddy had an illegal furry slinky back home and it was a blast…next was a hedgehog and some chinchillas. My realistic pet list is paper thin.

1 Like