What would be your dream animal?

If you could own your dream animal and prohibitive obstacles removed such as land/habitat, money, and legality etc. What would you choose? For me i always wanted a cheetah, they are so beautiful they even can purr! Compared to other wild cats the cheetah is fairly docile.

4 Likes

Off topic, but @eaglereptiles same with this topic. Id hate for them to think their topics are being deleted when they were actually just moved haha.

2 Likes

A cow… :cow2:
I love them so much…

3 Likes

Well if we can pick anything, I’d like a Hadrosaur! Or maybe an iguanodon! Dream big!

2 Likes

I think I would second a cheetah. They seem like really chill big cats. I also love African wild dogs. I’ve also always thought it would be awesome to have a domestic bat.

If we’re venturing into extinct animals, a quetzalcoatlus would be an obvious choice!

2 Likes

An interesting fact is they are not considered part of the big cats. Lions, tigers, leopards, jaguar and snow leopards are however.

Pumas and cheetahs are able to purr so they aren’t technically big cats ( even if their size dictated so ).

Im sure most people can tell, but im fond of k9s haha, so wolf, coyote, or fox for me

1 Like

I feel like my dream animals are actually somewhat reasonable haha I really want a crow and I wouldn’t mind a capybara.

2 Likes

Well if your counting dinosaurs, the baryonyx my favorite dinosaur.
Not counting dinosaurs
Almost all exotic animals too much to list

1 Like

Same, I love cows, I wish I could own a Scottish highlander. My friend owns a baby cattle one and I’m so jelly about it, haha.

1 Like

A female purple sunfire goldenchild retic. I know it’s simple, but I live in Florida so that explains it.

3 Likes

A mating pair of Boelens pythons!

4 Likes

I second this! I love bats, I wish they made better/easier pets.

I’d also love an octopus. If I had to pick a single favourite animal, it would be an octopus. I’d love getting to observe and interact with one every day. Sadly, they don’t make great pets, as they’re difficult to keep properly and most have very short lifespans (I think the longest-lived species can live up to 7 years, but most species only live a year or two). There are people who keep them, but their upkeep is very expensive and time-consuming, especially for an animal that only lives a few years at most. But if I had unlimited time and money…

Slightly more realistic would be a big beautiful female mainland retic. Ideally a purple albino.

4 Likes

I would have to say probably a axolotl lol even thought there not that rare or exotic I can’t have them die to some crazy laws that make no sense. I have a friend who allegedly kept them like 5ish years ago even though their illegal in the s*** state of California

1 Like

I live in california and they use to be in pet stores here when did they become illegal and why? California is the most Authoritarian state in America. They have a lot of laws that make 0 sense as if us residents are stupid and unable to make informed choices on our own. ( im sorry if i got a lil political) didn’t mean to.

2 Likes

I don’t know about axolotls specifically, but normally when an animal is banned in a state, it’s either because it’s perceived as dangerous, or there’s a worry about it becoming invasive if pets escape or are released. Obviously axolotls aren’t dangerous, so I can only assume there was a worry about them becoming invasive…although that doesn’t make a lot of sense either. It’s my understanding that the specific water parameters they require to survive (they need highly-oxygenated water and are very sensitive to pollutants) is what’s driving their extinction in the wild. The odds that they’d be able to establish a breeding population if released into a random stream or lake in California seems highly unlikely to me. A lot of animal bans are very poorly researched, so I can only assume this was one of those…though without knowing more about it, I can’t be sure, this is all just speculation on my part.

And actually, laws regarding pets, and especially reptiles, are more permissive in CA than some other states (though there are more restrictions on small mammals here in CA, it seems). We can’t keep axolotls or tiger salamanders, but we can keep iguanas, tegus, rear-fanged venomous snakes, and virtually all large constrictors without a permit, whereas ownership of many of those animals is restricted or outright banned in some other states.

Virtually all states have stupid bans or restrictions on certain animals, unfortunately. These laws are often enacted with good intentions (protecting natural ecosystems and/or protecting people from their own stupidity and arrogance, like people who think they can keep a tiger in a studio apartment), and I’m sure there are instances when such laws are indeed necessary and helpful, but too often they seem to be knee-jerk reactions to assumptions and prejudices rather than actual scientific realities.

3 Likes

Indigenous Californian here! This is what I understand happened: Our amphibious wildlife is extremely fragile in CA and the introduced species like the Bullfrog didn’t help much, nor the introduced fishes. Axolotl and many other species that might do far too well in California are often prohibited as pets, or when I was a kid you couldn’t have ferrets without a permit for similar reasons. A lot of pets are allowed in CA, but every now and then there’s an ecological triumph like asking people to not bring in or EVER release amphibians of certain types. Believe me, it’s probably very necessary.

California has a LOT of microhabitats that are fragile beyond belief, and people often can’t even see them unless they’re taught what they’re seeing. If I moved home I’d be very tempted to run a program introducing people to things like the Rosy Boa and show them what used to be common in Southern CA and is rapidly vanishing or in danger of losing homes.

As for being on topic: In a world where the animal would be safe and I could be safe and it’d have fun- A BEAR. A full on BEAR.

3 Likes

First would be a boa for me. Imagine that. :rofl: Got my first one when I was 11 years old. Now I am 56 and still have them. Hope to have them until the day I die. Had my first boa’s hide tanned this way she can be in my casket with me when I am buried.
A tiger retic is another one I like and had. Still have one retic as a pet.
May get one of these after I retire
Boelens python,

Now for few other animals I would want if I could own them.
Kodak Grizzlies Bear,
Wolf, Amazon River Otter,

5 Likes

I would love both of these as well.

Oh, and while we’re dreaming big (or small, in this case), I’d love a silky anteater. They’re so freaking cute and tiny!

3 Likes

I agree, I was planning on replying with both of these. Aside from reptiles these are some of my favorite animals.
My other dream animals would be reptiles and probably a cobra, rattlesnake, komodo dragon, and crocodile.

2 Likes