What would you do

Hi, I just signed up to MM. I was lurking a bit and liked the quality of discussion. My question, how would people approach this: I have always wanted a white-albino light colored BP. But I am 62yo! I already have a 30+ year old normal . Is it realistic to get a new one now? My one thought is to get a real pretty one so my executor/heirs would either keep it ( and the old guy) or at least it would be desirable and easy to rehome.

3 Likes

If it will bring you joy, then go for it! Just make sure you have a good plan in place for any potential health issues that may pop up as you are of an older age (I hope that didn’t come off as rude). One thing you can do is find a rescue near you that you trust and set up a plan for the future. Even if it doesn’t need to be used having a plan in place is always important no matter your age.

Have you looked at albino black pastel ball pythons? They seem to keep high contrasts even in older individuals. However, if I was in your shoes I would go with a rescue snake. Look on MM in the pet only section and at local reptile rescues near you. This will help to fulfill your dream while also helping out an animal in need of a good home.

Edit: we would also love to see your 30 year old normal! It is not every day that you see one so old.

4 Likes

It can be a tough decision!
I’ve had talks with my friends and partners about what to do with the critters I’ve owned just in case. For example, we talked about local shops and vets so they can ask about active rescues or rehoming. And that was as early as 26yo for me. My oldest boy is going to be 24 soon so it’s great hearing about someone else’s older normal phase as well

If you have a good relationship with family, you can have a chat and see how they feel about the snakes. If someone feels good about them, maybe they can take over if something happens.
If they seem adverse, you can always look into places to inquire or keep the updated list of active rescues so that they can be safely rehomed.

I wouldn’t see an issue with picking another snake up at your age if you have at least some ideas of a plan. There are plenty of people picking up animals late in life, or have to follow through on similar thoughts because tortoises and some birds can live such long lives.

3 Likes

Welcome, I hope you love it here on MM, I know I do!

I’m sure most people will have better advice for you, but your plan seems perfect to me! If a new scaley friend would bring you joy, willing it (through the proper legal routes) to your loved ones in case they outlive you is the best route in case you were super worried (even though you are young still!)

Perhaps you’d just want to make sure to be specific in a legal document about the kind of rehoming you’d want pursued if your heirs did not wish to keep the animal (a specific sanctuary, etc), that way it didn’t end up on craigslist if that wasn’t your hope.

But I know that people who get long lived pets like tortoises and parrots do that all the time, so I say if you are able to care for the critter and it would enrich your life, go for it!

4 Likes

I am touched by all the thoughtful replies! I have wondered what people with tortoises and macaws do. The pet section - is this for people who are looking for a home for a pet? That may work better for me to get an animal used to controlled chaos than for example a retired breeder. I do keep in enclosures so maybe they would have an easier time adapting to my situation.

3 Likes

This is my guy here. I was told he is captive hatched. He is about 5 feet long,

1 Like

The “pet only” section (listed in the morph list on the species page in the MM marketplace) is generally used for listing animals that the seller doesn’t want to be used for breeding for one reason or another. Sometimes the animals have minor defects or deformities that typically don’t affect their quality of life (but make them less than ideal as breeders), sometimes it’s animals of unknown history/lineage, sometimes it’s older former breeders whose owners want to retire them to homes where they’ll just be spoiled in their twilight years without being asked to produce any more babies. Sometimes it may also be animals who have become sterile due to injury/illness, or who have failed to produce any offspring after several attempts. It’s basically just where sellers can list animals that they don’t think should be bred for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Now I get it… That would still work for me as long as the animal is eating etc. And yes, I keep on newspaper… I got Laetitius in the 90’s got way busy with life. At that time “leaker” aquariums and paper were standard. I didn’t even know about the morph craze until about 10 years ago! He’s in a 4 x2 Neodesha now but still on newspaper. He didn’t like the bark etc.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with keeping on newspaper! Lots of keepers still use paper as substrate and swear by it.

Your old boy is gorgeous!! He’s almost as old as I am, and has definitely aged better than I have! :joy: That’s awesome that you’ve had him all these years.

3 Likes

Thank you Jawramik. And really he doesn’t act much different now then 10 years ago. He did appreciate the larger enclosure. And yes he climbs. Around February he goes in to I wanna breed mode and gets hyperactive.

2 Likes

He is over twice my age :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m 42 and i hesitated for a moment about getting a ball but who’s to say i wouldn’t die tomorrow anyway? Ive wanted a BP for about 10+ years before getting my Nanners.

We’re not all guaranteed a 100th birthday so make the most of today and just make sure you have someone who can take your beloved pets in your will :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Moon. My issue is that I am the last of my immediate family. My circle is not made up of \reptile enthusiasts. Maybe a better way for me would be to get involved with a rescue. I’ll foster yours if you take mine if need by type of arrangement. My other issue a SD (Not) tiger. No way could he go to a neophyte.

2 Likes