What would you do?

I’m thinking about my long term goals, and I just recently thought about using Low Expression Lilly whites for my Tiger LW projects. It makes sense, because the goal is to have the combination, and having tiger under all the white wouldn’t really work out. My current male is fairly low expression, but would something like Phantom help, or would that mess with the Tiger?
Would love to start planning for my next season/s, and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Phantom is actually typically what makes the tiger-stripes visual, as visual tigering is often (not sure if always) a het-marker from what I’ve been told. They talk a bit about it in the finding-phantom guide as well. The tiger-trait is fixed so all geckos carry it, it’s one of the main traits that decide how the pattern aligns. The main trait you want to avoid if you’re aiming for the tiger look is pinstriping, as pinstriping aligns the pattern horizontally vs tigering aligning it vertically. A higher expression LW with less pinning would probably work better than a low expression with strong pinning, if vertical tigering is what you’re aiming at. You could still get visual tigering with a higher expression pinning if that’s what you care about, however it would most likely align itself underneath the pinstripe and/or just above the pattern rather than actually forming vertical tiger stripes. As far as im aware the white that spreads on LWs and makes up most “high expression” animals is actually snowflaking/drippy, so if you don’t want the white to spread avoid that.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s all super helpful. I didn’t know that tigering was considered a het marker, guess you learn something new everyday!

1 Like

It can be according to the 4th point in the guide on LMReptiles’ webpage, not all have it though - I have a het phantom LW with no visual tigering whatsoever. Not 100% sure if it’s possible the other way around, a non-het with visual tigering, but yeah phantom definitely doesn’t mess with tigering😊

2 Likes

Lillywhite to a tiger, or a phantom Lilly to a tiger typically results in tiger Lillie’s of a nice variety!

Many over here and they’re all blooming insane!!

Some being phantom tiger Lillie’s and other tiger Lillie’s, if you want less white go phantom route! It’s what I’ll be doing :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Are you also breeding for Tiger Lilly whites? I love how pretty they are.
I might start poking around my area for a phantom LW. I’ve already paired my only female, so there’s no rush to find something else. Red Phantom would be great, especially since my female is hypo, so I believe that could make pink geckos.

2 Likes