What's your favorite type of gecko?

We have two day geckos and they are great!

3 Likes

Do you ever hold them?

2 Likes

I wish. They were never hand tamed and we are too afraid of the whole skin-shedding thing. And they are ultra-fast!!

3 Likes

Gotcha, I’m really starting to want one. :grin: Do you hand feed them or interact with them in any way?

2 Likes

Not really. They just don’t want it. They eat replacement diet and crickets.

2 Likes

Okay, they sound fun to watch :grinning:

2 Likes

When I first got my crestie he would sometimes bolt away, and always made my heart skip a beat :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I do not own any geckos, alas, I’d have to be more mobile to be able to go get them fruit flies whenever we need them, and I’d want them in a proper vivarium, which I can’t keep alive yet.
Snakes are more my speed because their food is in my freezer.

3 Likes

Quite a few types of geckos don’t need fruit flies. Crested Geckos are super easy to care for.

2 Likes

Most (all?) Of the New Caledonian geckos mostly eat food that’s sold in powder form. You just mix it with water and give it to them in a bowl and then supplement with live insects (like crickets and dubias) a few days a week. No fruit flies required!

I hate fruit flies and have done my best to avoid keeping any animals who need them. I also hated dealing with pinhead crickets. Thankfully all my spiders are now big enough to take bigger prey.

5 Likes

What size enclosure would you recommend if I was to house just one. Or do you recommend putting two together?

1 Like

It’s honestly impossible for me to pick a favorite… even picking a favorite from each genus is hard!

I can’t even pick a favorite from what I currently own… I really love my fishscale geckos, but it’s also nice to have my gargoyle and sarasinorum who I can manhandle when I feel the need to hold a gecko :rofl:

4 Likes

Ya, I hear ya :grin: Fishscale geckos are the CUTEST :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Also known as Williamsi!

4 Likes

We have our adult girl in a 18x18x36 paludarium bioactive. The younger boy is in a 18x18x24 bioactive. We were going to cohab them but she wasnt having it. After she bit him pretty good we had to move him!

2 Likes

Oh no hopefully he healed well! Would an exo terra 18x18x24 be fine?

1 Like

Absolutely!
Yeah he’s fine now. Just a small scar with no green color.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes my trouble is that due to my health I can’t reliably go out and get live feeders with any frequency. Though the new errand service in my area has reportedly delivered live rat for someone’s snake. I’ll keep that in mind if I decide to add another pet!

5 Likes

I know you can also order feeder insects online and have them delivered to your door. I don’t know what shipping costs are like and if it would make financial sense to do that without ordering in bulk, but it’s an option to consider.

Granted, frozen rodents are still easier. Always there when you need them, you don’t have to worry about keeping them alive, and they’re not going to get loose in your house. Dealing with live feeder insects is definitely an added challenge, but they’ve never been easier or more convenient to purchase!

5 Likes

I like animal species that aren’t extremely common, Crytodactylis or Nephrurus come to mind

4 Likes