What's your favorite type of gecko?

Thought it would be fun do a thread about geckos! What is your favorite type of gecko :lizard:, and what do you like most about them? What is your favorite experience with that gecko?

• Crested Gecko
  • Leopard Gecko
  • Gargoyle Gecko
  • Leachianus Gecko
  • African Fat-tailed gecko
  • Chahoua Gecko
  • Other

0 voters

I’m very curious to see what you like about the different gecko species!

9 Likes

I really love leaf tailed geckos. Especially the Satanic Leaf Tailed Gecko. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Leachies are awesome too, though! I love how they look like they’re wearing moldy pajamas. :joy:

6 Likes

Yes I always have loved the extra skin on leachies :joy: I kinda want a Satanic leaf tailed gecko. They just look so cool! Can you hold them? Or are they more for viewing?

6 Likes

I don’t keep any U. phantasticus (yet), but it’s my understanding that it’s best to avoid frequent handling. I‘ve heard that they’re quite fragile in general, but I also hope to keep one, one day. I’ve done some research, and it sounds like a good idea to start off with another, more hardy Uroplatus species. So far I have my eyes on U. ebenui (may have misspelled that) in my case, as they also seem totally awesome and are purportedly easier to keep.

5 Likes

Ok, thanks for the information!

4 Likes

Honestly I would love a Lechi one day. Their face is the best! And I love their size, so great.

6 Likes

I agree, but, I also would love a gargoyle :ok_hand:

5 Likes

The horns are great!!!

5 Likes

Does any one here own Chinese cave geckos? I’m looking into them and just kinda wondering what their care and temperament are?

6 Likes

Love to have a leachie, some time this year probably.

6 Likes

Ya, they’re something I want to. I really like the way they can blend in with their surroundings.

4 Likes

As @mblaney already said, I’ve heard that most leaf tailed geckos are pretty fragile and also tend to be pretty jumpy/flighty, so they’re not the best species for frequent handling. They can probably be coaxed onto you hand briefly for a treat, but most people I’ve talked to who keep them say they’re primarily display animals.

They’re just so cool-looking! I love their long lanky legs, their super cool cryptic appearance, and of course their awesome eyes.

4 Likes

Yes they are very cool looking!

2 Likes

Also, do they usually cost like $500?

2 Likes

I’d imagine they’re at least $500, if not more, especially if they’re CBB. As far as I know, they’re still somewhat uncommon in the pet trade and there probably aren’t a ton of people breeding them right now. They may get cheaper in time if they become popular and more people start working with them. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Makes sense.

2 Likes

Electric Blue Neon day geckos, i think is what the ones I am thinking of are called.

But I love cresties and their leaping, and gargoyles eyes, and leopard and fat tail sass, and Leachies baggy pajamas…

How do you pick a fave?

7 Likes

I don’t know. They’re all just your favorite I guess… but for me, well Cresties are the right answer :grin:

3 Likes

Gargoyles definitely follow close as do leachies.

2 Likes

Do you currently own any day geckos? I have been looking into them (as I do every reptile that looks cool) :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes