What's your "photography" set up?

I have a Nikon D80 with about $2,000 of extra lenses, etc. Sadly, I almost never take it out of the case anymore. For what I now need, my iPhone 12 takes amazingly suitable pics.

1 Like

This is a very educational discussion, I need more time to study it and learn.
The only comment I have so far is better lighting makes all the difference.

4 Likes

I personally don’t like light boxes or bounce flash.
This will be due to my preference in shooting in low lights. I understand this works well for shooting on white to get kinda “stock” and catalogue images but for me I like to use lighting for mood. I just get 0 satisfaction shooting on a white background in full light. This is no offense to anyone, but it just doesn’t work for me. I don’t feel like I have achieved anything, It doesn’t feel arty to me especially when trying to capture a living animals soul if you get me. These pics like this I take of a new hatchling are tedious, boring, mundane to me

6 Likes

I much prefer a more arty approach to it

10 Likes

Same I love moody light pictures, But would probably like white background if I was trying to sell

5 Likes

See I’d go black on that. Boas look ace in monochrome <3

3 Likes

Oh you mean like this…

6 Likes

Thoroughly showing an animal for marketing purposes and an artsy photograph are two fairly different end goals. For the latter I totally agree.

Your photos are absolutely incredible by the way!

1 Like

Even when I am listing something I just struggle to find the inspiration to take such mundane snapshots. I struggle with the basicness of it lol. I’m a funny onion. I’d much rather take a photograph than a snap shot. I think this is why I dislike phones so much. It’s just snap shot city. Nothing romantic in it at all. Plus I need to look through the eyepiece to compose a shot

2 Likes

A photograph from today
I only do one shot clicks and that’s me done

8 Likes

I would have to disagree. The camera/phone is only the tool. The person photographing the subject sets the tone. All taken with my cell phone. I’m no photographer but I understand photo composition.

5 Likes

Camera phones are designed for “point n shoot” usability marketed at the average consumer who will do no post processing. Because of this they are generally inaccurate in terms of color saturation. Color is amped up so they can be posted to social media, without any color correction right “out of the box”, and be competitive with processed photos with intentionally boosted contrast.

When it comes to accurately photographing snakes for marketing purposes I would say I’m against the general usage of cell phones because they’re almost surely not going to be accurate to what you see in real life. I would rather color be undersaturated in my photos so when the customer gets the snake they are pleasantly surprised when it is better than they anticipated. Ideally as close to reality as possible is my goal.

It’s possible there are certain camera phone models with accurate color saturation but they would certainly be the exception. Also if it is all you have it’s all you have, use whatever tools are at your disposal to the best of your ability.

The notion that “photoshopped”, aka post processed photos are less accurate than those derived from cell phone cameras couldn’t be further from the truth, given that the user doing the post processing is altering the photo to look more realistically accurate.

3 Likes

Those are some very nice pictures. I don’t play around with different settings on my phone camera nearly enough.

1 Like

Someday I’ll drag the DSLR out and take fancy Pictures, but for now, I just sit under my skylight and take pics with the overhead diffuse light and my little iPhone, snake in one hand.

1 Like

I wish i could take good photos, i know with most of my animals i cannot place them on a table like those set ups for safety reasons and becausethey really hate lights.
I also need a better camera as well.

1 Like