When Hobbies Collide!

Thanks, @saleengrinch. I do my designing in mastercam or solidworks because that’s what I have available to me at work. I used a free piece of software to design this hide, but I was super unimpressed with how it worked. Sometimes the mastercam hasp takes a trip home with me and I can design in my home office, but usually I do it at work. I use ultimaker cura as my slicer and that generates the g code for the printer. I can use other people’s files, but the have to be a .stl file format for my slicer to open them.

1 Like

@nathanfincher thank you. It’s the weird patterning around the name that I don’t like a lot. I’m 100% positive there is some setting I can tweak to make it run nicer, I just have to find it.

@rattlersdenexotics I wish I had a desktop CNC to play with. I’m a cnc programmer and I’d love to work on small side projects at home. When I buy a house I’d love to get an older haas mill for the garage. I had a student version of fusion, but I never liked it. I use mastercam, solidworks, and cura.

1 Like

They usually are trash lol. I program for lasers, robotic welders, and turret punch presses. I can also program old school in g code lol. I’ve been wanting a 3D printer forever! Super jealous!

1 Like

We just got a small workshop, so we just began building the work benches on the back half to set things up on. I only started playing with the free fusion version and still getting use to it, but always good to know what others are using especially if you already work in a similar field. I will have to give those a try. Thanks!

1 Like

Nope. Alligators are too hard to cut up and sew…and too hard to get close enough to in order to get a good measurement. Those stirrup straps would be WAY short!

1 Like

@saleengrinch the master machinist that trained me made me learn how to program the long way first. Fat fingering at the control. Pressing buttons with one hand and a coffee in the other lol. Truest valuable experience. My shop has a turret and a laser but I don’t ever get to play with them. Different department different boss. I have plenty to keep me busy anyway.

2 Likes

@rattlersdenexotics jealous of your workshop. Hopefully one day. The dream is to own my own shop. Machine shop in the front snake shop in the back lol.

1 Like

That’s awesome and the only way to do it in my opinion.

1 Like

No not made of alligator but for riding a glorious water steed through the bayou! yea I don’t think stirrup straps would be needed lol, may need to lay down at times. maybe a body belt with a ring to hook attachment, like in 'how to train your dragon"

1 Like

That was my EXACT first thought !!

1 Like

Latest print. My big toffeeconda hog needed a new humid hide. She’s out grown her old one. Designed in solidworks and after 20 hours of printing she’s got a new hide. Unhappy with the design. Some things I didn’t think about on the first go. Got the second attempt on the printer now.

6 Likes

You shouldn’t be unhappy with either of these you’ve made!
I think they’re Amazing! They look so good, and that humid hide is awesome! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I’m also taking up carpentry. My husband was an engineer and master carpenter. He passed away from cancer in January. You wouldn’t believe the tools and shop I inherited from him.
I’m looking to design and build enclosures, rat and snake racks,…just and rabbit hutches.

I’m sorry about your husband. That’s terrible. Good luck with the new hobby! I hope everything goes well for you. I thought yesterday about 3D printing an enclosure so I didn’t have to buy a bunch of new tools. I saw on google some people have been able to 3D print a frame and secure wood or glass with silicone or screws to the frame to create an enclosure. Got something I’m playing with in solidworks to see if I can make it happen.

3 Likes

I know it’s been a minute, but I made another thing and I’m very pleased with it so I wanted to share it here. Printed a new humid hide for my big female toffeeconda hog. Very similar design to the one I previously posted. The first one the snake went in and when she came out she came out wherever she wanted. The top was always pushed off and she made a mess of the moist spag moss. This one is secured with screws so she can’t push the lid off. First time I’ve ever threaded a 3D print and it worked really well. Now to make them in various sizes and colors for my other kids.

6 Likes

Added it in. If you look under the rock on the right you can see her staring at me disapprovingly for having the audacity to open her tank with out presenting the mouse tax.

5 Likes

Honestly looks amazing! I would love hides like this for the Royals! :grin:

3 Likes

I think I’m going to try to make one for my ball. I’m not sure I could make one big enough though. Maybe I could. I’m always overestimating how much room they actually need.

1 Like

Only thing I don’t like about this version is that it requires an allen wrench to remove the screws securing the top. Might rethink it and try one more time. I am very happy with this though. For sure not going to get rid of it just tweak a few things on the next one I make.

3 Likes