When is the possible het lost?

If the Grandmother is the only het albino in the family tree. Do the grandkids still carry the pos het albino tag, because of a slight chance that it carries it, and you would want to prevent a mix with another albino. What is standard practice in identifying possible hets?

Right, this is gonna get tricky and messy and a lot of misleading stuff said, so I’m going to call @t_h_wyman @stewart_reptiles and @owalreptiles in from the off.

Yeah imma let the pros take that one lol.

2 Likes

Standard practice is to breed them to prove or disprove them preferably with a visual for greater odds.

Albino x Albino = Albinos
Albino X Normal = Het Albinos
Het Albino X Het Albino = 66% Het Albinos + Albinos
Het Albino X Normal = 50% Het Albinos

The chance of your animal being het albino is very slim well depending on what the grand sire and sire were too.

2 Likes

Just to add to what Deb said as a side note.

66% and 50% don’t mean the snake is 66% het.
It means it is 66% possibly het.

It can only be 100% or 0%.

When a 66% or 50% het is proved out to be carrying the gene it is then considered 100% het… Or just het.

4 Likes

To take it one step further you can still have “possible” hets multiple generations out even if the parent is never proven out. Lets assume a grandparent is an unproven possible het that turns out to be a het. Bred to an animal without that mutation half the babies will be hets. Those babies offspring will have the potential to be heterozygous because a parent had that potential. The more generations out without a parent being proven the more unlikely it becomes but the possibility still remains. 50%, 66%, and 100% het tags apply to offspring produced from at least one known parent carrying the gene. 50% = het x non het, 66% = het x het, 100% = one parent is homozygous.

1 Like

Let me see if I’m getting you right:

In a really unlucky situation

Piebald + normal = 100% hets (no visuals)

Het + normal = 50% hets (no visuals) so out of 4 eggs 2 of them are 50% possible of being het.

If by chance you breed that het to a normal it is the same equation, just luck.

Het + normal = 50% het (no visuals)

And so on, it’s just luck (or persistence) of breeding the hets.

So even 10 generations later it’s still

Het + normal = 50% hets
Het + visual = 50% visuals & half het.

Did I get this right?

Two of them have the statistical probability of being het. Saying “2 of them are 50% possible” is technically incorrect as all 4 have a 50% probability of being het.

The ratios never change, no. It doesn’t matter how many generations down the line, het x nomal = 50% het / het x het = 66% / homozygous x normal = 100% het / homozygous x homozygous = 100% homozygous.

1 Like

Possible het is never “lost” it is just proven or unproven. The “possible” refers to the statistical odds that it will prove out.

So if you breed a het x normal then each egg has a 50/50 chance of getting the gene, depending on how the genetic coin flip lands. It does not mean that half of the eggs will be guaranteed het and the other half will not.

3 Likes

Nice one :+1: I’d not thought that far ahead, it was nice to work out.

1 Like

I understand that :grin: but was more towards the line of getting 10 generations down the line of just breeding to normals and a visual popping out of nowhere… it’s a very very slight chance but a chance all the same.
You worded it much better though :blush: