When parthenogenesis leads to trouble

This little rogue attacked me last night while shifting some supplies around in the snake room. Barely escaped with my life

24 Likes

Cute find :heart_eyes: but …

“When parthenogenesis leads to trouble”

I feel like I’m missing something here …?

3 Likes

She looks terrifying…

3 Likes

They keep breeding, well laying, and escape and then they breed, well lay again out in the room and then there’s more and you’re all of a sudden overrun…

12 Likes

Ah… Everything is making a lot more sense :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Nature finds a way!

6 Likes

Jurassic Park GIF by Vidiots

14 Likes

Those are super cool! I just collected my first 2 mourning gecko eggs a couple days ago. In your experience are the first clutches usually infertile?

6 Likes

Always been fertile here.
And we don’t collect. Just leave them be :grin:

6 Likes

I have a lot of cover in my enclosure but I still want to collect them so I don’t risk them getting eaten and I have experience for when I go to sell them (where it will be easier to raise them separately than try to catch them). It laid the eggs in a tube so I could easily take them out.

7 Likes

This is why i haven’t purchased many of the Tityus Species or Hottentotta Hottentotta due to the fact that they reach maturity within a year and you can quickly become overwhelmed with scorpions. Of course not all Tityus are partheneogenic and theres only about 15 Species that are, so without a good plan of what to do with all them, it could be a bad thing for the animal and the keeper.

3 Likes

Such a tiny adorable snippet of ferocity! Is that typical size for a hatchling?

4 Likes

Nope, my girl’s first clutch hatched 2 beautiful healthy babies :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Seems to be, though I have never actually had an isolated egg that I hatched to know so it is possible this gal is a couple weeks old for all I know

5 Likes

Goodness, such a tiny bit of adorable-ness. And I always think my corn snake hatchlings are so small.

4 Likes