So this is my first year producing corn babies. I had some issues with my incubator when incubating ball python eggs last year I got it fixed but I didn’t want to risk the same issues with my corn snakes so I curate fed at 75 degrees. Day 60 was on July 9th … eggs still candle good and no dimpling or mold… what day should I start getting worried?
There is no right answer to this, the general advice is, “Incubate until there’s no debate”. As for cutting, I recommend never doing so until at least one baby pips. Cut too early and you risk more than you would just letting them hatch on their own. Both of my clutches this year in an incubator went to 67 days at 83ºF. The lower in the safe temperature range, the longer they can take to hatch. Some folks have had eggs go 77 days and still hatch just fine.
Agreed. I only cut 24 hours after the first baby has pipped.
You’re only at Day 60, @bg1232, no worries yet. That’s only the beginning of the window when I expect possible pippies. It depends on so many factors, from parents’ genetics to temperature. I don’t cut eggs unless one hasn’t pipped roughly 12 hours after the last of the rest has pipped. That’s usually about 48 hours after the first pip, though it varies. Cutting too early can cause major problems. There’s just no way to know they’re ready until they tell you by beginning to pip on their own. But you definitely don’t need to worry at this point.
It’s now day 76 and still nothing
This temperature is pretty low. I somehow missed the temperature when I initially read this thread. I’m sorry about that. I am not surprised that you’re now at Day 76. Hatching at Day 60 can happen, but that’s with temps in the low to mid 80s. Lower temps mean longer incubation. How are these eggs candling? Do you see movement? Do they seem to have any visible issues?
Eggs still candle great all have big veins and aren’t molding or smelling. I can see the baby at the bottom. Unsure about the movement. I can’t tell like I normally can with ball python eggs
I decided that temp after I read some things by Don soderburg stating he incubates a room temp. I didn’t want to risk overheating and cooking them like last years clutches
It sounds like they’re on the right track. My room temp clutches usually hatch around 75-80 days. My clutch last year was unintentionally incubated quite cool and went super long.
Then leave them be and go by the rule, “Incubate until there’s no debate”. You’ve got a “low and slow” incubation setup, they’re getting there. Having patience is the hardest part, but I’d bet you’re quite soon to be rewarded for it!
Don is in Texas, and therefore his “room temp” is highly unlikely to be a steady 75ºF. Since you’re using an incubator, it doesn’t give you the same temperature fluctuation over the course of the day. In the future, as long as you don’t go over 85ºF (I incubate ±83ºF) and you keep a good eye on your incubator for spikes/uneven temps, you should be fine and have babies before day 70.
Edit: According to SMR’s website, Don’s snake buildings are kept at 82.5ºF, ±1ºF.
I’d take heart, @bg1232. Waiting is so hard, and it’s harder when there isn’t an actually defined, knowable end point. Stick with it, keep incubating. There’s no reason to think that the babies are in any trouble. We’re pulling for you!
Thank y’all sorry to be a worry wart I lost almost 2k of eggs last year due to the incubator failing so I’m worrying a lot this year
Hey, no worries, we’re all like that. The newer you are, the more you’ll be on edge about things, especially since your first go had problems. With luck, you won’t have to wait much longer to have your worries put to rest!
Everybody worries, @bg1232. I’m sorry about your loss last year. That’s tough for anyone to take. We are happy to support and encourage you while you get through the nail-biting period before your eggs hatch.