When to worry about unlaid eggs?

Some of them really like to throw you for a loop!

1 Like

This girl is just giving me all kinds of grey hair! I guess once she sheds I re-start the clock. I’m wondering how big this clutch is going to be, because she looked gravid 20 days ago. Now she looks like someone tried to stuff mini corn dogs into a sausage casing.

3 Likes

You might be able to take a rough count by palpating her.

1 Like

She’s not exactly happy being touched at the moment, she shoves me away, so I think I will just leave her be for now.

1 Like

Yeah, if she’s not happy about being touched, no need to bug her.

2 Likes

Dang, I was hoping she’d have resolved everyone’s angst by now. Soon, surely.

1 Like

I almost feel like she knows she’s being watched so she’s holding out. :joy: Checked on her last night, she’s deep in blue at the moment, and lumpy as all get out.

3 Likes

I don’t think she’s holding out, lol. Very few expectant-any-day mothers actually want to stay that way. Just ask one. But be sure you’re out of reach. :rofl:

3 Likes

I have personal experience otherwise, though I guess my mother is a bit…Different than most. :sweat_smile: Not expecting eggs here for at least a few more days, since she doesn’t seem intent on shedding imminently.

I have deep cleaned nine enclosures in two days trying to keep myself distracted.

2 Likes

Lol at least you’re using the wait productively.

2 Likes

She is a very thicccque girl at the moment. Got her out of her lay box for a quick check and a drink. She is now trying to dislodge her skin to shed.

3 Likes

Yay, that’s progress! You go, girl!

1 Like

Sure enough…

And NOW we start the countdown clock!

5 Likes

Non-update: We are 10 days post pre-lay shed. Still no progress. She looks even more ridiculous now on the rare occasion I see her moving outside of her lay box. Decided to refresh the moisture level of her sphagnum moss, so she has retreated to the water dish hide until the temperature is right to return. :joy:

3 Likes

Poor girl. I’m assuming there’s no water dish in that hide now, or at least not one she actually fits in, right?

3 Likes

The water dish itself is a hide. It’s just a large plastic dog bowl with a hole cut in the side so she can curl up underneath it. Her lay box is full of sphagnum on the other side of the enclosure. She moved back into the lay box after the moss had time to warm up post addition of the new water.

3 Likes

Sounds perfect. I didn’t think you had any water in a dish she could fit into. Just checking bc I’m paranoid and it’s been a stressful day here, lol.

3 Likes

Oh understandable! I like to make sure that my noodles have enough water to soak if they please, which is why I use large water bowls that double as hides. Spatial efficiency.

2 Likes

This girl is really keeping me on my toes. :grimacing: 16 days post shed, still nothing at all. She’s so lumpy I worry that some of the eggs may be getting too large for her to pass on her own. On top of that, we’re now on a time clock. I didn’t expect her to go this long, I have to leave town in six days and I’ll be gone for three, possibly four days total. I do have someone checking in on my animals, but they’re not really capable of much more than turning things on/off and filling water dishes. I’m really, really hoping she lays by then so I don’t have to leave either emergency incubation setup instructions or vet info.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s super nervous-making! Fingers crossed that she gets down to business for you PRONTO!

1 Like