When to worry about unlaid eggs?

Let me preface by, I know I’m likely being a little premature here, but I want to be on top of things.

This is my first year breeding, I only have two females. First laid 10 days after her pre-lay shed, no problems, back to eating like a champ. It’s my second lady who is making me anxious. She had her pre-lay shed 16 days ago. For the last 3 days, she has not left her lay box at all that I have seen, and I’ve been avoiding checking on her more than twice a day because I don’t want to spook her.

I know not all snakes run on a perfect time clock, she’s already thrown me for a loop being the first I witnessed lock up but the last to lay. I just want to know what to keep an eye out for, in case she needs to be seen by a vet. Thoughts?

2 Likes

The average time to lay eggs is 10-12 days past the pre-lay shed. But that is the average, and not all snakes will stick to that schedule (mine certainly didn’t this year, she laid eggs between days 13-14). I’ve heard of snakes going as long as 21 days. Do you have a picture of your lay box? Is it sitting on the cool end or the warm end? Personally, I think she will be laying very soon, especially since she hasn’t been moving out of the lay box. Sometimes they get picky about their lay box, but in that case, they typically wouldn’t be staying inside it. They’d be out looking for a better location to lay eggs. And did you palpate her at any point before her pre-lay shed to see if you felt eggs developing?

2 Likes

I don’t have a picture of the lay box, but it’s a small, clear sterilite container with a hole in the side for entry/exit, and enough damp sphagnum that she can fully obscure herself if she pleases. Size is big enough that she can fit inside without being too squished, but also without feeling like it’s wide open. Positioned half in the warm/half out so it stays around 80-83 degrees, she can, however, move the box herself if she wanted, she did shift it a few times initially. I did palpate, there are eggs, and she is large enough at this point that you can almost see the individual eggs themselves.

I’m sure I’m probably just being paranoid as it’s my first year, watch her start laying today or something to prove I’m just being neurotic. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve done everything right! I don’t think you need to worry just yet (I know that’s difficult advice to follow! I started worrying as soon as my snake was at about 12 days).

3 Likes

Thanks, just being reassured helps, I’m so not good at being patient, haha. Hopefully she doesn’t keep me waiting too much longer.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed for you!

2 Likes

Sometimes it feels like waiting is the hardest part. I agree with Olivia, if your girl seems content to wait in her box, she’s probably not holding out thinking it’s the wrong place to be. Averages are averages, and that’s all they are. By definition, there are those who go sooner than the average as well as those who go longer and lay normally. I don’t begin to get until they pass 14 days. I just looked at back records. Ive had an occasional female who went 14 days. I had one who went 20 days. She had me pulling my hair.

You know your snake, and can probably tell if she’s in distress. What I do if one of mine goes to 14 or 15 days is gently lift her from her box in the morning. Then I gently run a hand along her body and pay close attention to see if she’s flinching away at any point or showing more discomfort than seems likely from just being gravid. It’s a judgement call, but if you see pain it may be time to see the vet. Before I put her back, I look closely at her vent area. Then I offer her a drink and let her go back into her nest box.

Chances are your girl is fine, and her normal may just be a longer time between shed and eggs.

3 Likes

When I check on her she just gives me the, “Leave me the heck alone!” look, so I’m guessing she’s close, uncomfortable, and wants to hide away in peace. She doesn’t seem distressed, just your average hugely uncomfortable pregnant mama right now.

Thank you guys for easing my fears, I’ll keep doing my best to leave her be and only check in on her in the lay box as necessary. Luckily I can just gently pick it up and peek in from the bottom, so she doesn’t get too grouchy with me. Hopefully I’ll be able to update with egg news soon!

2 Likes

Sounds good! Fingers crossed that your wait (not to mention hers) will end with good news soon!

2 Likes

Day 18, no change. Gently gave her a look over and she is the lumpiest girl ever right now. Doesn’t seem to be acting like she’s in any pain, doesn’t appear she’s been doing any straining, she’s just huge and doesn’t wanna move. Did get her some water and she drank for a good long bit before I helped her back into her hide box. I think I’m going to call it if I don’t see anything by day 21 and take her in, for my own peace of mind.

2 Likes

I would be more patient. As long as you don’t see pain or lethargy she’s likely fine. I personally wouldn’t take her to a vet before then because the transport and vet can make the stress much worse and make her hold her eggs. Hopefully you get eggs soon!

3 Likes

I agree with @erie-herps. Also, I know it is hard but try not to disturb her as much as possible. Any additional stress could cause more harm then good.

3 Likes

Will do, I trust you guys. As long as nothing seems out of sorts, I’ll just let her chill for now. Only moving she’s had since I took a peek at her yesterday was when I had to swap out paper towels in the main part of the enclosure last because she passed urates. I also took a look at my ExotiKeeper app and compared her profile to that of my other female and my other laid after having refused food for 35 days, this girl isn’t there yet, so that really put things into perspective a little better.

I just had a new animal arrive today (hognose #2) so I’ll distract myself getting him set up in quarantine and doing observations. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That is a wonderful way to cope :rofl:

4 Likes

You’re doing all the right things, and it sounds like your girl is, too. She’s just one of those who didn’t read the book. It doesn’t sound like she’s stressed. I don’t have anything to add, just keep doing as you’re doing.

PS - I think I’ll try out the idea of getting a new critter to distract myself on those waiting days. Don’t think hubby will go for it, though! Lol

5 Likes

It would help with the nerves though, so I think that he will go for it!

4 Likes

I tell ya, it definitely at least defers the anxious focus! :joy:

It works pretty well, but I have a feeling breeding seasons would get expensive, haha.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ll have to restrict myself to rearranging and redecorating vivs. Mostly. A gal can always dream! :wink:

1 Like

What an excellent point! I’ll be sure and point it out to Dan!

2 Likes

Well, I’m about to scream and pull my hair out, because…It looks like she’s in blue again. :upside_down_face: Yes, that’s right, her “pre-lay shed” 20 days ago was apparently just a shed.

I am going to go crazy before this girl lays. :rofl:

3 Likes