Where the big ol heck do you put the probe?

I have been struggling with my proheat panels overheating the enclosure. It’s really hot in there. I feel like the problem is my probe positioning. I don’t think i know what im doing. Radiant heat panel pals, where do you put your probe?

Picture of a naughty boy who wrecked his enclosure that i am now cleaning for tax.

7 Likes

Most people actually run the probe along the roof of the enclosure and then once it is near the radiant heat panel, drop it down 4 to 6 inches, depending on how high your cages are. And then they tune in their temps from there.

3 Likes

Thanks Riley!
Do you have a picture of that so my weird brain can understand what that looks like?

3 Likes

I don’t use rhps but I can get a pic of how that would look

Kinda like that :wink:

3 Likes

And here is Riley going above and beyond to help others!

4 Likes

Thank you David :wink:. I strive to do so.

3 Likes

I’ve got my thermo probe cord wrapped in a little aluminum wire back beyond the probe part, and that lets it be positioned a little ways under the RHP on the ceiling.

Are your panels the kind that need a Pulse Proportional thermostat? Because mine were giving me heck until I consulted the maker and he told me they had to be on that kind of themostat.

4 Likes

WOAH that’s clever! But i have one concern: about how often do your snakes attempt to rip that down thinking it’s a good looking stick to climb on?
Also no they don’t, of course im sure it would be better. But the big reason (aside from them being the best) i chose proheat is because they claim their panels work with ALL thermostats. Viv elect? Good. Herpstat? Cool. Cheap seed germiniation thermostat from Amazon? That’s cool too.

And @lumpy thanks for going above and beyond to give me a picture of what it would look like! I understand much better now. Here’s what my probe situation looks like right now:

2 Likes

Also, look at his new cleaned tank! Hes got a naturalistic like hide in the back that spans the whole enclosure. I’ve never tried to set up hides like this before so it’s a little experiment. I want more naturalistic enclosures so hopefully this works as practice.

I think it looks nice. :blush:

4 Likes

Something to keep in mind while trying to dial in the Temps, I have the thermostats set well lower than the desired hot spot temp. For example the set temp for my vision 632 enclosures are at 82. That gives me a 90 hot spot. My vision 400s are set to 83, that gives me a 90 hot spot. My animal plastics t8s are set to 87. That gives me the 90 hot spot.

You’ll need to dial it in for your desired outcome.

5 Likes

Hmmmmmm. That looks familiar! Lol! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh wow that’s actually really helpful. I had no idea you had to keep them so low in some situations. That kind of difference is nuts. I might just attempt that for the time being while i brainstorm a more permanent solution related to wire…

2 Likes

Lol what looks familiar?

1 Like

The pee pads and your naughty boy! :joy:

2 Likes

He figured out that he could dig himself under them and use them as a little blanket. Then he pooped under there and upended his water bowl. :joy::smiling_face_with_tear:
I wanted the doggy pads because it’s easy to see and clean… but nope. Now he gets dirt. Just dirt.

3 Likes

Yeah I know about tunneling under the pads and upending the water bowl. My BRB did it twice before I went back to newspaper and a water bowl that weighs a ton! Lol! :joy:

2 Likes

I’m hoping he won’t! LOL. Finnley’s not an adventurous enough climber so far, and I did make sure it would be a stretch for him to get up there. It certainly won’t take his weight so I doubt he’d try to wrap it but he’d slide off. (The potentially sharp ends are outside the enclosure.) I’ll snap a pic so you can see what I mean.

Edit:

Perspective makes it look shorter than it is, but there’s the probe, about four inches from the back wall and 4-6 inches from the RHP.

Finnley’s in this pic unseen, his warm hide is underneath that bottom bamboo shelf. The shelving setup on the other end of the 4x2 is a lot higher for his climbing impulses to go free on.

5 Likes