White snake turn yellow

Why is my white snake…albino leucistic red tail boa…turning yellow?
As a baby was so bright white. Now a light lemon yellow… Also shes not about to shed. Shes shed several times and remains yellow

6 Likes

Albinism doesn’t eliminate all color only the dark pigment. Often times what you will see is yellows and orange in albino snakes.

Welcome to the foruna

5 Likes

Fairly normal with most white snakes, especially boas. The albino gene removes dark pigmentation, but leaves yellows and reds behind. As they grow, boas gain yellow pigments, which is why few morphs look the same as adults. Welcome!

4 Likes

But she was soo snow white. I was hoping it was something like humidity or over feeding

5 Likes

That’s normal. The only white snakes which really hold their color are the leucistics with two copies of a dominant gene, such as the super fire boas and BEL ball pythons. As an example of other white snakes going yellow, here’s some photos of a moonglow boa as a baby, and as an adult.

(Not my pictures)

7 Likes

Even though she is turning colors I am sure she is still very nice! Btw welcome to the forum and we all love pictures! :blush:

3 Likes

The closest you are going to get us an axanthic albino. But even then they tend to pick up some pigment as they grow.

4 Likes

Some before and after.

6 Likes

Well… This is helpful. Shes still a beauty i just hoped shed get her white back. Google suggested liver stress from over feeding. So i cut her back from every 7 days to evrry 10. But now i can resume her normal feeding schedule

4 Likes

How old is she? I would actually recommend feeding every other week.

2 Likes

That depends on how old she is and what size rodent she’s eating. Dratini ate every Sunday when she was on small rats and two years old. Now she’s eating every other Sunday on medium rats. So just depends on the snake

2 Likes

that is why I asked how old it is. I was just going off of what it looked like to me.

2 Likes