Who Breeds Year Round?

I usually pair snakes in the fall but the last couple of days I noticed one of my females doing some strange things like bowl wrapping and laying on her side. So I decided to throw the male in with her and sure enough they were locked up this morning. Does anybody else have females that cycle at different times of the year?

5 Likes

I have been for the past several years now.

I am on my animalā€™s schedule not mine, if they are showing me signs that they are ready than it does not matter what time of the year it is.

4 Likes

What about cooling? Do you bother to cool them when they show signs, or just breed them?

I didnt cool at all. This is my first year pairing this early and only did so because she was showing me signs of building. Iā€™m sure most are more productive during the cooler months of the year but ultimately its up to the animal when they are ready to breed.

Well I have two girls living in the cool side the past 4 weeks, Iā€™ll have to play around.

Thanks

If you cycle your room then your ball pythons will go (generally) around the same time of year. If you donā€™t cool they will go sporadically through the year. I cycle my room for other pythons I have that need to cycle to in order to breed at all, but my first two years when I only had ball pythons I didnā€™t cycle and saw similar success, just spaced out ovulations.

I have not cooled my animal in 10 years, regardless of breeding year round or not.

2 Likes

Definitely breed all year. I use ultrasound, and Iā€™m picking up follicular development in females right now, that werenā€™t showing anything a month or 2 ago.

Iā€™m pretty sure that if I waited until ā€œproperā€ season and paired them in the winter, I would miss the window of opportunity on those girls, and they would reabsorb those follicles. This happened to me last year.

3 Likes

Thats exactly what I was thinking as well. If you dont pay attention to the signs of your snakes you may miss it all together for the year. I dont have an ultrasound so I just have to go off visual observations and palpating for follicles.

2 Likes

I am totally with you! Thatā€˜s how I do it

I never cool and have found it has zero bearing on when a female starts building. I pair when the female gives indications she is building.

1 Like