Why are red eyed tree frogs all imported?

Josh’s Frogs MM listing makes a bullet listing stating how easy they are to breed. So why aren’t US domestic captive bred ones available by any sellers?

1 Like

I think the main reason is because there are so many imported frogs, that USCBB frogs would be tough to sell and not lose money on. Personally, I was planning on getting a group to try and breed except I don’t want to buy an additional 18x18x24 exo-terra and risk cutting it for the rain chamber. If it was possible to use an aquarium or something similar I would buy a group and try breeding them.

2 Likes

They’re just not available at the moment. You have to remember, animals have breeding seasons, and if there aren’t enough captive bred animals to feed demand, often that leaves only the import listings up. If you search animals that have already sold, there are plenty of people who do captive breed. Those animals have a tendency to sell first because they’re considered to be less risky than an imported or wc animal.

2 Likes

It was easier for them to catch the red eye…bha dum dum :joy:

2 Likes

The whole frog community itself really has a severe shortage of breeders, and that has basically been the case for decades. It’s not that someone couldn’t make a Red Eyed Tree Frog breeding project profitable (if you get 30 babies from 1 female and sell them for $30 a piece, that’s $900 before costs), there just simply aren’t that many people who are either skilled enough or interested enough in breeding them. With people selling Ball Python and Crested Gecko morphs just to name two commonly bred species for hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars per baby, it’s kind of hard to convince someone to put in the same amount of work just to sell a baby frog for $30.

1 Like