Why Do Snakes Yawn?

Feeling sleepy? :yawning_face::zzz:

Well, Reaper isn’t! Healthy snakes “yawn” for very different reasons than humans. They could be readjusting their jaws before or after a meal, or in the case of Reaper here, gathering lots of scent particles from the air to better analyze what’s going on around them. How neat! :snake::bulb:

Bonus points for those who can share their snake “yawns”!

16 Likes

Here is my best one as of now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15 Likes

I’m so envious! In the entire time I’ve kept reptiles (though mine are geckos), I’ve never been able to snap a photo of a yawn!

2 Likes

He was resetting his jaw after eating :grin:

2 Likes

I believe snake yawns are much more common and predictable than gecko yawns. My geckos have yawned a couple times that I noticed but it’s only for a short time. Snakes that are resetting the jaw will do it after most meals and will do it for a while. Snakes that are taking in scent particles will do it in a new scenario (for example outside) since it brings in more scent particles than the tongue and that’s also longer lasting.

4 Likes

I never knew there was any reason other than resetting the jaw. Very cool. I have never managed to get a picture of it though.

2 Likes

We often do classes with our snakes with kids. Get about 30 sweaty kids into a classroom and our kingsnake will occasionally yawn like that. Sometimes freaks the kids out a little.

3 Likes

24 Likes

That is an incredible photo you got there @slither_shack

1 Like

Thanks! We were so excited to see it happen

2 Likes

Best yawn photo!!

2 Likes

He is waking up from his “first” nap

2 Likes

Amazing pic! Adorable!

2 Likes