Why does my snake have purple scales and is he healthy?

Hi everyone im new to both snake owning and the community have a few questions about my boa hes supposedly a sunglow and about 13 months old he seems small for his age at 30 inches and 6oz and im worried he was under fed or sick that or the lied about age. He just had his first shed with me and after shed i noticed a fair amount of pink and pale purple scales on his head and sides also a pale purple ring around his darker orange spots. Some one told me he maybe a purple sharp sunglow boa but im looking for some verification found this community and thought maybe you guys could help with identification and how old he is or if he looks healthy. I hope the photos post and are clear enough to see it looks like a grey in the pic more than purple but its definitely purple can see the ring around the dark orange spots fairly well in one of the photos.

7 Likes

Wow, you have one beautiful snake! The purple rings are normal and they vary in intensity from snake to snake. I would bet money that you have a kahl or even sharp albino from how vibrant the yellow color and purple rings are. He looks very healthy as well, not overfed or underfed. I believe he may be smaller because male boas are generally smaller than females (in all variation of boas).
As for his shedding, as long as his old skin came off in one long piece, hes perfectly healthy and you shouldnt have anything to worry about with him. Congrats on your beautiful snake!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. He’s a good looking boy. As was said size varies and he seems to be right in the size range for a yearling.

2 Likes

Thank you both so much for the info. He is a beauty i found him in a pawn shop not so well taken care of and rushed him home. Im happy to know what kind he is and that hes healthy.

2 Likes

Beautiful dude!

2 Likes

That’s actually a totally normal size for a non powered 1 year old.

It looks like a kahl sunglow. Definitely not a purple sharp

2 Likes

A pawn shop
:scream: WOW, who pawns a snake? You had a lucky find. He’s beautiful.

3 Likes

They actually had 2 i didnt have enough to buy them both they also had a ball python of thier own behind the counter they said a breeder friend of thiers left town and they ended up with the babies he had. They actually also offered me a green tree boa with the whole set up im trying to save for it wasnt in the best habitat and didnt seem to like the pawn shop at all looked stressed out.

1 Like

Thank you!