Wild Caught Rhinella marina parasite treatment?

I have a few small Marine toads coming to me. I have to assume they are field collected. I’d like them to stick around for a while and I know they can often carry some parasites. Is there an effective way to treat them when I get them? I hear Fenbendazole and Metronidazole can be effective, in conjunction with keeping the tank sanitary and cleaning constantly while treating. Is there any validity to this? Are there other methods out there?

Thank you

1 Like

To start you should know what you’re dealing with, so get a fecal float test done for parasites. Depending on the parasites that are present your vet will likely recommend certain treatments for them (just make sure they are safe for amphibians, they are often more sensitive).

4 Likes

That seems like the right move I just hope the vet by me has some experience with amphibians.

Thank you!

2 Likes

ARAV vet finder might be able to help you there:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

3 Likes

So I found two vets close to me. Both want to charge me about $100 per toad for a “consultation, examination and husbandry yada yada yada” not including the damn fecal float tests. They won’t see them all at once, so three separate exams. I don’t need this. They expect me to drop 300$ on consults for 3 little toads and then pay the probably close to $100 per toad for testing? They won’t just run the tests.

I have a lot of animals and take all of them to the vet IF NECESSARY and understand the costs, but that’s absurd. It’s a damn invasive species. They typically get hunted with a pellet rifle and they want me to drop 600 bucks to check for parasites that they more than likely have? And then I’d have to buy the meds on top. Nope. I don’t bring my animals to the vet for every little thing because I, like many people who have had animals their whole life, have some experience treating certain things that don’t require a vet. The hell if I’m gonna drop that kind of cash for them to tell me my wild caught toads have a couple parasites.

So this brings me back to my original point. Is there a product used for toads that anyone has experience with, for example the two I originally mentioned?

Thanks!

I have a thought but until it’s confirmed true or false by someone experienced I do not recommend it.

Since all 3 toads likely have the same parasites and they’re the same species could their fecals just be mixed together and all of them will show up for the test? Of course letting the vet know so they don’t prescribe an unnecessary high dose of a treatment. What are your thoughts @mblaney and @t_h_wyman?

You also might be able to find the parasites yourself or for a cheaper cost. I read some articles a while ago about how the fecal float test can be done at home with the right microscope (and the proper tubes, formula, slide, parasite identification reference, etc.). You likely don’t have the equipment but you might be able to find a breeder or keeper who can do it for a much lower cost. Once you identify them you can get the dosage from a vet and give them to the toads.

2 Likes

I wish I had the means to test myself, but unfortunately I do not. And the issue with the vet is they won’t do the tests without providing a consultation. Which I don’t need.

I wish there was a way to send out fecals like I send out a swab for a Nido or Chytrid test.

Oh well.

https://www.vetdna.com/test-type/reptiles

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t Know I could use the same method. Please forgive my ignorance but what would I request on the form for the relevant testing? I’ve only ever sent in Nido swabs.

Thanks

1 Like

I have never used RAL for fecals so I do not know what you would need to request but I am sure a call/email to their Customer Service department would provide the clarity you need

3 Likes

Thank you!