Will dewormer kill my tarantula?

I discovered that one of the dub roach colonies I bought from the store had been infested with worms. They look like red nematodes or blood worms. I started feeding the roaches some dewormer (panacur) mixed with their feed for the heath of my geckos. However, I just fed some of these roaches to my T’s by mistake! Will dewormer harm my tarantula? I’m really not sure since they’re arachnids and the medication isn’t an broad spectrum insecticide. My roaches survived after eating the dewormer as well. So far, only my G. pulchra gobbled the roach up, so I’m really worried for her. Is Panacur toxic to T’s? Please help! I’ll keep you guys posted on the the status of my T’s.

Panacur is known to be dangerous to most invertebrates, including tarantulas. Hopefully since this is a case of a feeder insect with the presence of panacur (and hopefully a very minimal amount) being consumed the result won’t be deadly. It’s hard to say though.

1 Like

When I had a question about my scorpion I got a great answer at arachnoboards, they’re experts with everything to do with invertebrates. To start with I would be hesitant feeding the roaches dewormer without having the worms tested and you’re positive on what species they are, they likely won’t be a problem. I wouldn’t feed the roaches at all, to geckos or Ts. Remove the roaches from the other tanks if you haven’t already. Make sure they all have fresh water in their enclosure and keep an eye on them. If it is harmful there isn’t much you can do now.

1 Like