Worried about a hard white substance underneath my tegus tail

So here is a little backstory, I have had Momo for around six - seven months now. I found purple mushrooms growing in his enclosure around a month ago and on the same day I hastily went in his enclosure to disinfect any object lying around and cure all of his soil, it took around a week. Overtime I have noticed there is this white hard substance on my lizard’s bottom tail. I’m just worried that it’s a type of fungus or something like that. I hope I’m just overthinking things and it’s just hardened scales, but I haven’t found anything online about it, so I’m kind of worried.

I don’t see anything unusual going on

3 Likes

I agree with Kristin, all I see is a little wear from being drug around like a tail doing tail things.

3 Likes

It’s hard to see what you describe in the picture, but maybe stuck shed? It can make a whitish coating. Do you soak your Tegu or have a humidity box?

Ah, I can see that, he does have a rough plastic carpet on one side of his enclosure.

Yes, I soak him at least once every week and add in a b-vitamin mix to his food every now and then. During the weeks he is shedding I make sure to soak him every day for around thirty minutes to one hour. I do have trouble getting stuck shed off of his tail, but it does all come off in the end. No, I do not have a humidity box.

2 Likes

Tonks, my Tegu, loves her humidity box. It is a tote with coconut and peat substrate. A hole for her to climb in and a heat mate on the top. She digs and loves sleeping in the damp substraight. It helps a lot keeping her shed coming off like it should.

2 Likes