Worrying care video's on youtube

I’d still thumbs down as it might eventually make a difference

2 Likes

i agree with this. there’s not a ton you can do about inaccurate care videos, or even abusive ones, and in my opinion it’s not worth it to “boost” a video by liking or disliking it. The only thing that can really be done is just to hope new reptile owners find accurate and knowledgeable advice vs the faulty, inaccurate advice some people put out there on the internet.

3 Likes

I think you could report it as Dangerous -> Other -> Description: Animal abuse, [details]

7 Likes

If he is that nervous to handle the snake probably shouldn’t of “rescued” it. I’m not exactly understanding what poking and prodding it is going to accomplish. He should really be handling this snake with a hook.

8 Likes

They do these videos for the money period. More clicks from having aggressive snake in the title, then of course they have to deliver on it. Its really sick when you think about it.

6 Likes

its between that, or genuinely not knowing any better. I haven’t watched the video myself, but i’m about to take a look now

2 Likes

he has prey items inches from the so called aggressive snake

3 Likes

There is so much wrong with that man owning snakes if that’s how he treats them

5 Likes

I’m having a hard time coming up with a response im happy with so just stick with me lol.

After watching the video, i’m under the impression that this youtuber has not been properly educated. When he says that the snake is being aggressive, its just the snake reacting to his touch. At no point did i see the snake do anything i would dub as aggressive. Also i find the use of tongs to poke and prod at the snake to be incredibly inappropriate because the snake isn’t doing anything… just being a snake. He states that he has 20 snakes in that room(or something along those lines) but ultimately i think hes an inexperienced keeper who might not be very confident around snakes in that manner and he needs to take a step back and realize he has the potential to do more harm than good to his snakes by the way he treats them and reacts to them.

end of rant

5 Likes

Then why is he making care videos??? Lol

5 Likes

If you call that a care video… Those are the kinds of “care videos” that he produces, terrible and can hurt your snake.

4 Likes

because he doesn’t know any better, but he THINKS he does. In no way do i support or agree with what he’s doing, but we see people in social media all the time who dont always know what they’re promoting or the harm they’re doing to the reptile community who don’t want to see or put up with this kind of stuff.

2 Likes

Then he has zero business with twenty snakes.

6 Likes

exactly. based off the other videos on his channel, it’s all very clickbait-y and i dont think hes in the hobby for the wellbeing of the snakes.

3 Likes

All these channels are terrible for our hobby. This is the type of stuff that makes us look bad as a group. Everyone is “rescuing” 20 ball pythons and spending a weekend reading on the inter webs and bam expert. Then they proceed to make videos full of horrible information and care. This same person will be selling there collection to some other inexperienced keeper in two years. Vicious cycle and extremely frustrating to the ones of us that have been doing this a while through good and bad times. There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning and getting hands on experiences before actually breeding snakes. But everyone wants to buy a snake and hatch a clutch as soon as possible. Then when things go wrong sell off.

10 Likes

this discussion reminds me a lot of this topic. it really shows that this issue will keep coming up over and over again, no matter how much we try to correct it. I think the thing that counts is that no matter how other keepers will portray themselves online, we all individually know who we are and how we keep the correct ways.

4 Likes

This. Inexperienced people shouldn’t be making the videos at all, but I think it’s unfortunately becoming normalized. I’m a rehabilitator with 5+ years of experience and everyone acts like I’m being a gatekeeper when I try to explain that it’s not just a word you can throw around. Quantity is not the same as quality either—some people can’t see that collecting a bunch of animals doesn’t mean you’re an expert at them.

When there’s 18 year olds on tiktok with millions of followers that act as experts, and their care is having 30 baby pet frogs in 12x12x18 exo terras on paper towels eating nothing but mealworms, and THOUSANDS of people are watching these ‘care guides’? That’s a problem that creates more problems (nothing to do with age either, but the care). Someone’s got to say it. The 5-minutes-on-google education method people normalize is real issue.

9 Likes

It’s horrible to see. I have watched several YouTube videos that have been helpful in helping me learn, but others then think…I can do that! When they really shouldn’t.

When I got my first reptile - a crested gecko, care wasn’t as good as it is now. That wasn’t me… It was back in the days where there wasn’t many rules about selling and not much info on keeping, I had read so many books prior to getting my Crestie but still the quality of life for my Crestie wasn’t as good as it would be now. I’ve learnt so much over the years because there is always something to learn… But then there are some people that got reptiles many years ago and never bothered to check later if what they are doing is right but because they haven’t had issues they think they are right when clearly they are not.

This problem won’t ever go away, but we can at least give our opinion.

I saw the video, I didn’t watch it all as I didn’t need to! I gave a thumbs down hopefully if enough of us do this… Then future reptile owners might think twice about the video and see the it is useless. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Just expressed what I feel and think about the all thing on his/her comment section.thks to put it in front of me.

3 Likes

Temporarily Closed For Staff Discussion.