Young Female not eating

My (F) Vanilla OD hasn’t eaten in maybe 3 weeks. Although, I’m noticing she still comes out to hunt/explore every evening for ab an hour. She’s very healthy so I’m not worried or anything, just curious why she’s refusing food yet continues to hunt. Any thoughts?

How old is the snake, she may be fasting?

2 Likes

Any changes like getting a new pet or moving the feeders into the same room can cause this. Exploring isn’t the same as hunting, she might just be moving around but not hungry. A picture would help too, if she was fed a lot before she might fast for a while. Often ball pythons go off feed for a long time for no reason, it’s nothing to worry about unless she’s losing a lot of weight.

2 Likes

This. If she’s 1.5-2.5 years old and between 800-1200g, you’ll experience it with a lot females. Keeping them leaner can minimize it, but it’s just part of them maturing.

6 Likes

I wanna say she’s 2 but I’m not really sure.

2 Likes

So don’t be nervous it’s probably just a fast.

2 Likes

Probably a fast

1 Like

Feeding time might impact this as well. I have a male that won’t eat unless it’s at night. That active period you were talking about when she’s out, that’s your best shot.

4 Likes

Have you checked your temperatures? She may be restless if she’s to hot. And it’s completely normal for ball pythons to go on a fast by themselves.

6 Likes