2023 Eggs/Hatchling updates

So happy almost all of them came out on my birthday! The second banana almost looks Mojave, but it’s so orange!

10 Likes

Spoke too soon!

11 Likes

This confuses me since the sire is supposedly a lesser, but that baby looks more Mojave/mystic!

6 Likes

Congratulations :champagne::tada::balloon::confetti_ball: and happy birthday :confetti_ball::gift::birthday::balloon::tada:!

5 Likes

Thank you :two_hearts::two_hearts:

5 Likes

They’re cuties! Love the darker banana

5 Likes

Those are some pretty babies there! A bit jealous honestly, but most importantly…

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :partying_face::tada::gift:
I bet it’ll be fun to take birthday pics with your snakes all grown up at some point

7 Likes

Thank you!! Once I’m off work I plan to take some with my two girls that were both 2018 July 1st babies I’ve raised since they were tiny!

7 Likes

I do hope you enjoy your time off with your girls! I retired in 2018 and it seems like I am busier now than when I was working! So treasure your time on now because you are going to need it when you retire! lol! :rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

:joy::joy: I’m waiting for this to be my career in the future. Probably expand to breeding boa constrictors too, but these guys have made me look towards things in life! I’ll take breeding snakes over retail any day :skull:

6 Likes

They have all shed! I might make a post for some help with IDing but I have a general idea! I can get more photos of each, so let me know!

I’ve never hatched out single gene enchi or calico so please let me know if I’m wrong! The sire is also confusing me because I don’t believe I have a lesser hatchling

1. Calico pos mystery gene (I say this because the flaming I’m noticing)

2. Enchi pos mystery gene

3. Banana, Mystery Gene, Mystic/Mojave? (Or lesser?)

4. Enchi Calico mystery gene

5. Enchi calico mystery gene

6. Banana Calico (maybe enchi?)

7. Mojave/Mystic? Or lesser with mystery gene? I can’t tell if it’s a dark lesser, or if the sire is something else

7 Likes

I hear ya! I don’t breed but I have worked in retail and I totally agree with you! :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Might need some opinions on this one! So, the second clutch all pipped about 5-6 days ago. (Which I cut them about 24 hours later) but, there’s not a single one that has poked their head out or came all the way out. I’ve never had hatchlings wait so long to come out, so any thoughts on this? They’re on day 58 and when I just checked the eggs to make sure they’re alive, the insides of the egg were getting murky and stuff (but the hatchlings are responding to a light tap) so I’m not too sure what to do at this point? Is it possible they could end up hurting themselves if they stay in the cloudy eggs longer?

3 Likes

Not the update I was hoping to ever give, but here it goes . TW for anyone who doesn’t want to hear about this, it’s a pretty graphic

So as I mentioned, they’ve been in their eggs for probably 8 days now after being pipped and cut. I checked them about 6 hours ago, and the eggs were solidifying and molding inside. The “yolk” was yellow and green, and probably full of bacteria, and I did what I thought could save the hatchlings considering the situation. They were probably absorbing that nasty stuff for days while they refused to even poke up. I took them out, kept them in the incubator on damp papertowels. They were extremely lethargic today, way more than they have been. They weren’t moving much at all, not keeping their heads up, and stuff like that.

So, I checked on them when I just came home, and I only have one responding (pushing my finger slightly). The rest are completely unresponsive, and just have a faint heartbeat. I’m deeply saddened about this, as I’ve never heard of a clutch pipping and then just never coming out like this. I’m not sure if the 5 are breathing, and overall I’m very unsure how to continue about them.

I’m hoping it was the father’s genetics or something, so I can just not breed him so that doesn’t happen again. I think I might even stop the mother from breeding again even though she did great last season. I’m very dumbfounded how this happened when I hatched that other clutch perfectly fine in the same incubator. I was hoping something like this would happen years down the line of breeding, not my first official year of breeding morphs to start this hobby

Update: 5 of them have passed away over night, but a little pastel is holding on. They seem to have more strength today, little tongue flicks so I have hope for this one right now

4 Likes

that’s disappointing. its always going to be sad when some dont make it. I had my first clutch this year 24 egg 12 were slugs and only 4 developed veins. 1 of them went bad in incubation and 3 pipped but one of them died in the egg never even blew any bubbles and was kinked. In the end I still managed to hatch out 2 healthy babies.

4 Likes

It’s just frustrating because all the eggs were perfect besides 3 going bad during incubation. The hatchlings responded great but I guess took too long to come out. None were kinked or shown any signs of birth defects. I’m just hoping this little guy makes it, I’ll probably keep them as a pet only

4 Likes

Its just a bummer really. Hopefully this one pulls through and makes it.

3 Likes

I’ll definitely update in a few days!

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for you! I know you are devastated but this was something completely out of your control. You did everything right but nature had a different plan for these babies. I am hoping the little pastel defies the odds @artisticserpents! :pray::snake::heart:

4 Likes

Thank you, I just hope they didn’t suffer too much! I’ll check the hatchling when I’m home from work!

5 Likes