2023 Leopard Bamboo clutch, something odd

So I posted a while back about my Bamboo’s first clutch. Recently she laid a clutch that just hatched out. She’s a bamboo paradoxed with Pinstripe. The father is a leopard 66% Pied.

Leopard

First Normal

2nd Normal

3rd Normal

beautiful bamboo leopard

And bamboo leopard pinstripe?

It’s crazy to me that this baby popped out. Here is Nefertari’s belt for reference.

13 Likes

That’s amazing luck!
I’m assuming she was a fraternal twin chimera then…where one of her ovaries is also from the pinstripe one and the other is the bamboo side?
I know there’s a couple genetic wizards here that would know the specifics more than I.

She’s an awesome gal :heart:

5 Likes

Thats crazy, you have made some amazing snakeys!!

4 Likes

Yeah that’s what I think too! It’s crazy and this is the first baby and so far only baby with pinstripe but now I know she has a chance to throw pinstripe!

3 Likes

That can’t be just a pinstripe “paradox” it would have to be a pinstripe, bamboo. It is crazy to me that the bamboo all but hid the pinstripe because pinstripe is such a dominating morph on its own! It really is amazing! The proof is in that pinstripe offspring, which looks so cool! Nice clutch! Crazy results!

4 Likes

I think I’m leaning towards this as well. I don’t know the feasibility of having an ovary from one set of genes and then an ovary from another.

Got some more pics of the mom? I hatched some bamboo pin stuff this past year. Here’s some pics for reference. Mom is bamboo pin, then in the combos I’ve got bamboo pin yb, bamboo pin calico, bamboo calico yb

2 Likes

There have been cases in birds where one half of the bird is divided right down the center as m/f. And in a cardnal or a zebra finch, it’s easy to tell them apart. Nature is crazy sometimes.

I think @t_h_wyman probably knows a ton more about this sort of thing.

4 Likes

She looks so amazing she almost doesn’t look real! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve heard of this with snakes; chimeras. I think @verinium has a pretty cool one actually. But they only ever carry the genetic load of one of the snakes that is visual, not both. To my knowledge anyway, I could be completely wrong.

4 Likes

There’s a lot of terminology and such changing since I was working at a vet hospital and there’s a lot of things the hobby says that isn’t technically correct in medical jargon. lol. The change from hermaphrodite to intersex and so on over the years for example.

I could have it backwards between paradox and chimera and so on. I just always think of the fantasy beast made of 2 animals, so my brain sticks with 2 in one like a fused embryo. lol.

3 Likes

Just to chime in, with the “ovary” theory. I could see it making onr or the other that way, but i wouldnt think it could make a combination, since neither ovary would have both. Id love to hear what @t_h_wyman thinks could be the case. @nswilkerson1 is correct that i have a mosaic where it looks somewhat “split”, but Mr. Wyman is the geneticist, and could likely give an excellent idea of whats the case here :grin:

4 Likes

Chimera - 2 embryos make 1 animal
Paradox - 1 embryo, develops anomalous markings from an rogue gene.
Mosaic - 1 embryo, an anomaly happens while its splitting to where parts of the animal develop differently creating that “split” look.

This is my laymans understanding of it. And to be clear, paradox is a term people made to describe the anomalies, so its not a very clear definition. For example, i forget if chimeras are paradoxes because of their anomalous nature. But i know for sure that not all paradoxes are chimeras.

5 Likes

I totally skipped over the fact the one was bamboo and pinstripe. TYTY!
Also for the rundown!

4 Likes

My best guess would be maybe the animal has pinstripe and the “paradox” is that it is only visual in that spot.

3 Likes

Yeah I think that was the area that has me convinced that it’s a very low expression pin or something going on with a paradox spot. Otherwise I’m not sure how that could happen.

3 Likes

Here are full pics of Nefertari. She’s in shed so she’s not her full color.

4 Likes

It definitely looks like all bamboo except for that pinstripe band paradox looking area. I still say it has to be both pinstripe and bamboo, in a very unique individual! Which is awesome because now you know it can give both genes (pin, bamboo) to its babies! What a cool, wonderful snake! Also in my experience paradoxes usually have the wild (normal) type of pattern and or coloration showing through, not always but usually.

1 Like

And it’s crazy because she had a clutch 2 years ago with 6 babies, none shows signs of pinstripe and now these 6 babies with one, only 1 being pinstripe!

3 Likes

What’s the dad look like? Just curious.

2 Likes

That is crazy! Pinstripe is such a dominant morph and I know the odds say if one parent is pin then each egg has a 50% chance of being pin, so 6 eggs no pin seems unlikely, not impossible by any means. Last season I had a microscale pin x cg, phantom got 4 good eggs all hatched and got half pins, as to be right on the odds. Very weird snake, do you by chance have a pic of the parents? I wonder if the pinstripe in your line is just a lower expression. (I have never heard of a low expression pinstripe, but perhaps something is masking or hiding the pinstripe gene in your line)

1 Like