'24 breeding pairs

Since all the pairings have actually been done now, I just wanted to share my breeding pairs for the '24 season. Took a break for a few years to really get into the genetics and make some plans for what I really wanted to breed, and I did have actual plans… but I ended up with 4 oddball pairings instead :rofl: All of the females are first timers so this season could end up horribly, but it is what it is :person_shrugging:

First pairing will hopefully result in some more vibrant tricolours, but I mainly just wanted to see what’s up with the female. Confirmed lock on the 10th of December, but still no eggs. The male prolapsed and had to have an amputation unfortunately, so I’m probably not gonna repair them even if she never lays. In that case I’ll just try again with another male next season, or if she starts laying multiple sets of duds.

The second will hopefully result in some funky patterning, both of them have a really funky look to their pattern imo. Confirmed lock on the 1st of January. No eggs. Probably gonna repair if nothing by the end of the month, though I have heard of females that went upwards of 5 months before they started laying

The third one I’m hoping for some het EB LWs though I’m not actually sure that the male is an EB; neither of the babies out of him I was sent photos of were EBs so I’m excited to see what he’ll throw. Paired 03/03.

The last one was a mistake on the previous owners part; I got her from the same home as the male from pairing 3, and wanted to pair her with that male as well, however they accidentally gave me a very similar but different female that had already been paired; So I already know one pairing I’ll be doing next year :sweat_smile: :person_shrugging: Love the kind of faded look of her pattern, so Im excited to see what the babies will look like regardless. No idea when she was paired, but she’s been in her laybox for the past few days so :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Hopefully they will all lay eggs for you :crossed_fingers: can’t wait for updates :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks! :crossed_fingers: Im especially hopeful for pairing 1 and 3 since I’ve produced the male (1) and female (3) myself :blush:

3 Likes

Exciting stuff! I hope you get all the eggs you’re wishing for, from which will emerge all the babies you’re hoping to see! :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Thanks! Im just super excited to finally be breeding again, as long as i get a few eggs I’ll be happy :star_struck:

4 Likes

So beautiful! Cant wait for the updates :blush:

1 Like

Quick update; Finally got some eggs! From pairing 2 about a week ago, and from the mystery pairing today :blush:

Still no eggs from the first pairing even though it’s been more than 3 months now, she was looking gravid late last month but never laid anything and doesn’t look it anymore so i assume she reabsorbed them :person_shrugging:.

5 Likes

Congrats

Love the smiley faces :grin:

3 Likes

I guess this would be a good chance to ask, but what kind of markers do you use for eggs? I assume most markers are toxic, but do they work?

2 Likes

I don’t mark eggs, not really any need imo. But a felt tip if you want too.

1 Like

I just use any marker I can find tbh, as long as it isn’t toxic on your skin it should be fine :blush:

1 Like

Sharpies seem to be the most popular

1 Like

I use Sharpe’s but I also only do a tiny dot

Back with a quick update; got two more eggs from Lantana, and i got a set of parthonegenetic eggs from Pepper! My last partho egg from Ginger never made it so I won’t get my hopes up, but I can’t help it a little bit :sweat_smile:

2 Likes