Annoying Habits Your Herps Have

We all love our herps, but most of our reptiles also have annoying little habits that make our lives slightly harder. Here’s a place where we can share those annoying habits and hopefully have a little laugh together. My ball python for example has a weird habit of flipping his hides upside down so I always have to flip them back. And one of my hognoses will not stop dragging substrate into her water bowl. I even got her a taller water bowl to try to prevent this, but she is persistent. So what about y’all? What are some mildly infuriating things your reptiles do?

6 Likes

Several of mine like to grab a tailful of aspen when I’m getting them out. I vacuum up so much aspen…

7 Likes

Mine tend to do the same but also try bringing their hides with them lol

5 Likes

That! And branches!

6 Likes

My BP also loves his branches :joy:

6 Likes

Not me! All my guys are perfect! Lol! :joy::face_with_hand_over_mouth::upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Whenever I feed my yeti hognose, he hisses, pancakes, grabs the mouse, rushes to the side of his tub, pins the mouse to the side of the tub and eats it. Every. Single. Time. He also poops in his water dish every 1-2 weeks.
One of my leopard geckos (tangerine male) is super aggressive with food, today I tossed a dubia in his tub so I could spot clean without him biting me, and when he ate the dubia it squirted dubia juice on my arm at least 2 feet away. He also often tries to eat his poop (mistaking it for a bug), so I have to get another feeder item and distract him with it.

7 Likes

My leopard gecko has a 3D printed ‘litter box’ that sits neatly into the corner he habitually poops in. He manages to position his booty so that the poop gets between the litterbox and the glass! Its like a quarter inch of space and he threads that needle EVERY TIME like some sort of booty sharp shooter!

7 Likes

Those who follow my threads will have already heard my recent saga of Sneaky. He was a 2022 hatchling that refused to eat for almost the first year of his life. Now though? He’ll eat perfectly while being held. So I have to get the little booger out and be a human tree for him, unable to move or really do anything else while he sloooowly consumes his food.

7 Likes

For a while my blue tongue skink just would not eat out of a bowl. It was tongs, spoon, hand, or nothing. Definitely was good bonding experience though. She eats out of a bowl now though which is way more convenient.

8 Likes

I hate when my boas poop :poop: in there nice clean cages after I just cleaned them.

11 Likes

Yeah, it is always as soon as you clean that they decide it’s time to poop and spill the water bowls.

10 Likes

I just assumed that was a universal rule that all snakes were born knowning.

9 Likes

I figure I like pooping into a bowl of fresh water, so I try not to begrudge my snakes for enjoying the same luxury!

13 Likes

@solarserpents So I had to read this twice before I grasped the meaning and then I got the mental picture. You’re not right! lol! I love it! That’s why I love this family! You just never know who is going to say what! You made my day! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

8 Likes

Mine makes me poop-casso’s on the sides of their tubs :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

I know this is kinda old, but one of my geckos will, without fail, poop on me every single time I get her out. I’ve learned to just stick her on a napkin until she does, but it’s still annoying.

4 Likes

my toads and skink like to flip their water bowls. i am replacing the toads near daily and my skink will have good and bad weeks with it. some weeks he will go on daily rampages through his enclosure and other weeks he acts like he is perfect.

Potato also throws a hissy fit every time I go to get him out. once he is out he pretends he didn’t just throw a tantrum and is perfect

5 Likes

I have a bullsnake that likes to feng shui her enclosure. Everytime I check on her she has moved/flipped the hides over. More comical than annoying really. If she figures out how to flip the water dish then it will be annoying.

My boa will wrap her tail around a clump of cypress mulch when I try to take her out. She then proceeds to dump it all over the floor once in hand.

6 Likes

Our BP Hestia – as BPs do – loves warm dark nooks and crannies to rest and chill out in. When we’re out and handling her, she’ll often end up hiding under either me or my spouse’s butt. Which isn’t a big deal to us! Baby can hide wherever she’s comfortable and if she wants to risk getting tooted on, that’s karmic revenge for every time a BP ever pooped on their human. (I kid. We don’t fart on our snake.)

It does get hilariously awkward when we have a friend over and have her out, and then end up having to explain that our snake is apparently a butt girl and has personal space issues.

8 Likes