Annoying Habits Your Herps Have

These stories are hilarious! Keep 'em coming!

Our albino girl Bananas bathes in poop every chance she gets! If we don’t see it right away she goes all in for the “turd facial” but protests when it’s time to wash her face off!

4 Likes

Our neighbors have a wonderful rescue racing grayhound who is an absolute sweetheart, but he loves to stick that big nose right into your crotch or butt and it is always the funniest thing. :joy:

6 Likes

I have a female super snow leopard gecko who will usually poop in her food dish after eating, I try to remove it when she’s done eating, but she still beats me to it sometimes.

4 Likes

Someone was busy last night. Her water dish is under the humid hide and the make shift box hide is usually over in the corner.

*not pictured is the paint job she did on the front wall of the tub.

7 Likes

Not the best example of it, but Sherbert absolutely loves to wedge her self in between the glass so that you can’t open the door :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

7 Likes

I started using an absorbent liner with my blood python, thinking that would make clean-up easier when she peed. However, she managed to foil my brilliant plan by slithering under the liner…and then peed underneath it. :person_facepalming::person_facepalming:

I’ve gotten her extra cork bark and some more big fake leaves to hide under, and I’ll try making her substrate deeper and see if that convinces her to stay on top of the liner…but if that doesn’t work, I might just have to give up on the liner. It’s actually worse when she pees under it than not using one at all, since there’s no substrate under there to absorb anything.

4 Likes

How bad is blood python pee? I love them so much, but as one of the few snakes that have liquid urine I’m not sure how much harder they’ll be to keep

5 Likes

It’s honestly not THAT bad. I feel like the blood python pee issue is blown a little out of proportion by some people. Yes, they do let loose a fair amount of liquid when they pee, but it’s not like they’re doing it every day. And if you use loose substrate (like coco chunks), you just scoop out the wet substrate and wipe down and disinfect the bottom of the enclosure where the pee was. And you should probably do total substrate changes a bit more often than you would for other snakes just to be sure everything is being kept fresh and clean.

I’m only complaining about it now because I’ve been out-smarted by my snake in my attempt to make clean-up a little faster and easier. :joy:

But I say that if you want a blood python, don’t be deterred by the pee. It’s really not that difficult to deal with. Look at it this way: they pee way less often than my cats, and it doesn’t smell nearly as bad as cat pee. :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for the response!

And I totally get you, it really isn’t a BIG deal when my hermit crab scoops dirt into his water dishes, but I complain about it because I SWEAR he makes eye contact with me while he does it :joy:

5 Likes

One of my cats makes eye-contact with me when he knocks things off tables. I’ll see him getting ready to do it, and I’ll say, “Don’t you do that. Just don’t do it.” And then he stares me down while he proceeds to knock whatever it is off the table. :rofl:

One of these days I need to get a dog. It’d be so refreshing to finally have an animal with at least some sense of shame. :joy:

5 Likes

Depends on the breed :joy: anything with GSD, poodle, or husky in the mix will enjoy tormenting you just as much! I have an aussie shepherd/poodle mix and she steals pens right off tables as you watch, and will rip up to do lists right in front of you!

4 Likes

Careful what you wish for. We have a boxer/coonhound mix that feels no shame. Took him in from a rescue. He was a stray for 8-months as a puppy. You can take the dog out of the streets but you can’t take the streets out of the dog. He’s a menace and the bane of my existence.

My wife keeps telling me to be patient and that he will calm down. Two-years later and he just keeps eating my stuff.

5 Likes

Waiting for me to turn the lights out and leave the room so she can begin redecorating……

6 Likes

Beans steals my glasses… Then won’t give them back… He also has an old injury, he used to be on live and at some point a rat must have bit off the very end of his tail but now it’s a bit sharp and he like to wrap his tail around things and he will sometimes hold on to something with the very end of his tail which means he will make his tail into a hook and sometimes he almost stabs me with it!! He doesn’t mean to though and he’s too cute to be mad at.

3 Likes

Recently my blood python has started thinking she’s getting fed whenever I open up her enclosure to change her water. She doesn’t do this when I open to mist, only when I change her water. Clearly she’s telepathic (or more likely, she hears me pumping up the sprayer before misting her and associates that with “not food”). She hasn’t attacked my hand yet, but we’ve had a couple close calls where I’ve had to tap her down with a hook before I can safely reach in and grab the water dish. :joy:

EDIT: it just occurred to me why this might be happening. I usually remove her water dish right before I feed her to free up floor space for her rat dish (I put the water back in right after she’s finished eating). So maybe she’s started to associate my reaching for the water dish with getting fed. Obviously I change her water WAY more often than I feed her, but she’s a blood python, so hope springs eternal when it comes to food.

5 Likes

Maybe pump up the spray cannister every time you fill the water dish? Annoying, but maybe the sound association will help interfere with the rat tray hope?

Bless her heart, she thinks a food bowl is going to come from the sky and then just gets stinky ole clean water!

4 Likes

Yeah I’m like @cmills! Poor little Mina! She’s so mistreated to get her hopes up like that and then be so disappointed that all she’s getting is just clean water! :tired_face::stew:

5 Likes

That’s actually not a bad idea. Recently I’ve just been touching her with my hook before reaching for the water bowl, which works, but it would be interesting to see if the sound of pumping up the sprayer would dash her hopes of being fed.

I’m definitely glad that I tap trained her as a baby! She’s big enough now that a bite wouldn’t be a whole lot of fun. She’s a super sweet snake, she’s not the least bit fearful or defensive, but she sure does like to eat. :joy:

6 Likes

Well… I’ve been pumping up the sprayer before reaching for her water dish, and it seemed to be working…until it didn’t. :joy: Just now I actually was misting, so I pumped up the sprayer and then opened the door and reached in to remove some fake plants so I could wet down the substrate…and Mina went for my hand. She didn’t really come that close to getting me, but she definitely would have if I hadn’t pulled my hand away. She settled down when the mist hit her, so she figured out it was rain time, not rat time. I may need to just start tapping her down before reaching my hand in for any reason. Normally I only use the hook when I’m going to handle her, but with her now always thinking it’s dinner time, that might need to change. Girlfriend just ate last weekend, so it’s not like she’s starving. :joy:

Here’s the criminal in question, all sprayed down and looking appropriately ashamed of herself.

7 Likes

Awwwww. Poor neglected Mina! :joy:. Probably it would not hurt to tap tap tap her a few times next time to let her know the rain is coming! :blush:

Otherwise she may not mix next time! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes