Another Reptile Girl

Omg you’re kidding!
That’s on my list of anime tattoos :star_struck:

3 Likes

Welcome! I feel my response is going to be wholey inadiquate to such an elaborate introduction haha. Im pretty new to the hobby but also love researching and learning, so i try to answer any questions i can. Miyazaki is the best! Spirited Away is still my favorite move of all time! I dont have any lizards, only snakes, so sadly im a bit lost on that subject, but if you ever branch out to pythons, i have some basic knowledge :slight_smile:
Anyways, welcome! And thanks for joining up!

6 Likes

Haha seriously! I want to get a sleeve also with various characters from Spirited Away, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle and all the rest :blush:

Kudos to you for recognizing awesome classic anime btw :grin: I hope you love your tattoo once you get it!

2 Likes

It’s good to meet you :slight_smile: I’m so surprised and ecstatic that so many people on here immediately knew Miyazaki and questioned my cats name lol!

Funny that you mention pythons because eventually I would love to get into retics. I think they’re just so cool and some beautiful morphs. I think sand boas are pretty cool too but don’t know a whole lot about them. Anyway if I do end up getting into snakes I’ll be sure to bug your ear off haha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You sound a bit like me in your love of nature’s critters and biology. I have never had anything aside from dogs yet but am hoping to one day finally get my 1st ever herp (I’ve chosen a Uromastyx–likely U geyri or ornata…or a pair of them). I chose the Uro since I’m not into pythons boas or geckos (except maybe the electric blue or geico ones anyway) for the most part companion wise although I like everything from a bio/nature perspective.

Welcome to the Community here!!!

Ps. I like the look on your cats face in that pic lol. Give kitty cuddles for me if you can.

4 Likes

No that spirited away

1 Like

Oh cus her parents turned into pigs I got you lol

2 Likes

Uromastyx are so cool! I’m glad that you’ve decided to come into the world of herps. I know the Geico ones you’re talking about - Giant Day geckos I believe. Those are cool, though I don’t know how easy they are to handle. I think they can be pretty flighty, but that’s not really a problem if you like to look at them more then hold them. I think that’s why so many people are crazy about cresties, leos and bps currently - because they can be so easy to handle and it makes caring and breeding them a breeze. Eventually there’s several species that aren’t so handleable that I’d like to get into regardless, so kudos to you for wanting to take that direction. Definitely some other reptiles out there that deserve some love even if they don’t want to be out of their terrarium lol! Thanks for the warm welcome :blush:

2 Likes

Yep :+1: lol :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah. I didn’t know about them until a former friend (met on xbox…I was a big gamer) who had them told me about them. After hearing about them my inner Biologist (bio was my best/fav subject) took off and I started researching them. They are like a beardie’s cool spiky tailed cousin since both are in the lizard fam Agamidae. I was attracted by their diet (easier for me to work with than rodents which my first choice a corn snake would have needed). I HATE heat and warmth but I just can’t say no to their spiky colorful charm.

Just gotta manage to find a chance to come to the USA and hit a reptile show (Im from Toronto Canada by the way) or find a good breeder up here in Ontario. That and figure out where to put the enclosure. I like my room to be an Icebox (not good for a herp or anything ectothermic) and I need to make sure my 13 yr old female husky can’t get to the lizard when I’m not looking since she still has her hunting drive. (Sometimes she looks for stuff in the backyard ie rabbits or raccoons to go for)

3 Likes

Miyazaki as far as im concerned raised an entire generation of animation loving westerners. He proved that the west was a viable market when the artistic style and story was good enough. The man is a legend haha.

As far as retics, i avoid retics and bermese pythons. Not that i have anything against them per say, but i tend to follow the rule “if it can kill me, i dont want it.” Haha… yet here i am with a bunch of dogs. Maybe im just a hypocrite xD. Im pretty sure they are also illegal in my state, so i suppose its for the best i dont want them.

I raise carpet pythons and ball pythons instead. They have awesome morphs, get to a decent size, but not too big (6 feet max generally for balls, 10 ft max generally for carpets). Also means their housing and food is easier :). There are a few retic fans on here though, so im sure they would be a great source of info of what to expect and what you should have ready to safely own a retic!

2 Likes

“As far as retics, i avoid retics and bermese pythons. Not that i have anything against them per say, but i tend to follow the rule “if it can kill me, i dont want it.” Haha… yet here i am with a bunch of dogs. Maybe im just a hypocrite xD. Im pretty sure they are also illegal in my state, so i suppose its for the best i dont want them.”

You should look at Reach Out Reptiles (ROR) , because I had that same mentality until I found super dwarves. Garrett (ROR) is probably the most knowledgeable on the animals, too!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Glad to have you. I pretty much don’t fit in with the discussions you’re currently having, but that doesn’t matter here! One Piece is the greatest anime, though (which dates me, I’m sure).

I’ve had a variety of Herps, like you, but I did spend a few years breeding Leo’s and will get back to it here soon enough. If you have questions, feel free to ask. This place is chock full of knowledge and I don’t mind sharing what I experienced/did.

Again, welcome!

Cheers,
Erik

3 Likes

Hmmm, didnt know about any dwarf version, im sure its still large, but may be more manageble to keep and handle safely. Could be a good thing for the future to check out :slight_smile:

P.s. if one piece ends and the “treasure” is the friendships he made along the way, im suing taoie animation… (or however you spell the companies name haha)

4 Likes

There are terrariums that open up in the front rather than the top, so they keep in heat and humidity better. That’d prolly be your best best if you don’t want a big Uromastyx tank heating up a small room (by the end of the day of heating several gecko enclosures in my office it has gone up about 10 degrees lol). Are there not many breeders willing or able to ship to Canada from the US? I live in the midwest US so never had to ship in from another country, so I apologize for my ignorance on the subject. A reptile show might be the best bet, you’re probably right about that. I know you can buy Uromastyx online from unreputable reptile dealers but I wouldn’t recommend these because often the animal is wild caught, comes shipped in bad shape, or with a heavy load of parasites. Always buy cb from a reputable breeder if you can, or be ready for to find a vet that specializes in reptiles and exotics and be ready to foot a huge bill. Although you seem like you’ve already come to that conclusion yourself. I love huskies btw! Just somewhat intimidated by them lol :grimacing:

3 Likes

Thats actually pretty good advice. I’m a pretty small female tbh and I’m the tough one of the house. My husband is terrified of geckos, let alone 15 ft+ snakes :joy: so I prolly wouldn’t get much help handling a huge python… Still the alure remains!

1 Like

Lol my brother loves One Piece and others like Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach. I could never get into those. I still love Inuyasha though :rofl: I really wasn’t expecting the discussion to take off into the world of anime to be honest haha. I’m sure we’d have other things in common. Thanks for the welcome btw!

4 Likes

Verinium, depends on what you consider large. Garrett has some localities where the male doesn’t get larger than 6-7ft and about as round as maybe a carpet python, only smarter. Lol. He just hatched some really small locality stuff that I think is in the 5ft range, which is adult female BP size just not as thick. :smiley:

Definitely check him out. I think you’ll be impressed.

3 Likes

Will have to do! Im at 29 snakes currently, so i cant branch out too much at the moment, but perhaps once things are stable it could make a cool addition (so long as my state doesnt regulate them)

3 Likes

Yeah I kinda wanna a baby CB so I can enjoy it as it grows up and get the most from the lifespan. I wanted a corn snake at 1st (they are still on my herp list) but I wanna start with the neat Uro. I just need to get things in life straightened out and stabilized first.

My husky girl is a total sweetheart to other dogs (except 2 breeds mainly–Jap akitas and korean jindos) and humans (she loves to come say hi cuddle and sometimes talk) but aside from cats which shes a bit afraid of (a hostile cat almost scratched her eyes out when she was a pup trying to be friendly to it) she still has a prey drive. She brought a live bunny inside and tried to eat it once and has had incidents with a fam of raccoons living on the roof and in the tree outside.

I posted a pic of her in the non reptile pets thread on here (dunno how to link so yeah)

I just want my Uromastyx already…I also want some Tarantulas (currently not allowed anything which possesses venom of any kind harmless to humans or not) some mildly venomous herps (FWC for the win) and dart frogs at some point. I love nature biology and wanna appreciate the various critters we share this life with.

2 Likes