Anyone keep carpet pythons

Alright. So, multiple things here. First off, the species of python you’ve aquired has a relatively warm heating gradient required, with highs of 85 - 90° F in the hot/basking area, and the ambient/low areas around 70 - 75° F. In order to achieve these zones, and due to the size that species grows to be, you’ll have to move on from that Exo Terra Small Tall soon, as the snake will get to reach about 5 to 8 feet by the time it’s an adult, and it doesn’t give you much room for that kind of heating gradient. I see you’ve also got the enclosure on the floor, I’m not sure what your heating is like, but without that heat lamp on 24/7, you don’t have a way of maintaining the environment properly, and especially not without a proper dimming thermostat. There are several decent brands out there but you have to keep in mind, you get what you pay, especially when it comes to heated electronics. The proper environment takes a bit of preparation to achieve, between getting the right equipment to generate the right conditions, and allowing it time heat up and settle in, to make sure there’s no extreme hot or cold spots, is important and gambling on temperature and proper husbandry, especially with a cold blooded creature, is dangerous. Carpet pythons are very capable defenders, as you’re seeing from this young one here, and as they grow larger, they don’t have a problem establishing how they feel about their surroundings, with inconsistent temperatures and constant changes to the enclosure, this snake will never truly get a chance to calm down and settle in. Those factors alone should be enough for you to consider either heavy accomodations to your enclosure, or heavy accomodations to your decision to purchase a carpet python. If you’re ever looking for more help, feel free to reach out. If you find that you cannot care for this creature in a manner that allows it to thrive, not simply survive, perhaps myself or others here would be willing to help you figure out a better choice in a snake, whether it be another species of python or perhaps a boa, but with what you currently have to offer it, I don’t see the odds of healthy survival being very good for that carpet python. You CANNOT wait on getting proper temperatures, and I understand being limited to product availability and finances, but if you’re unable to make it work, please don’t wait until it’s too late to say something or to figure something else out.

9 Likes

Since you’re online, the best recommendation I can make for a proper dimming/proportional thermostat is a Herpstat 2.

You need daytime and nighttime heat available, unless you absolutely have constant 70-75°F room temperatures in the room where the enclosure is located, you’ll need to invest in a UTH. Given the size of the enclosure, I’d recommend a ZooMed RT-4 or similar in size/output, you can locate these at PetSmart/Petco (Go ONLINE FIRST, you will absolutely save money if you order online first) and most specialty pet stores that sell reptiles and reptile supplies. You could get away with using that one ZooMed On/Off thermostat if you had to, they have excellent temperature range and accurate temperature, but a dimming/pulse proportional thermostat is not only better for keeping temperature but is more energy efficient, and most will give you dual zone output and monitoring, and you’ll still need an additional thermostat for your heat lamp. The Herpstat is a great option and is worth the investment. If you can’t afford it, the next best option is the ZooMed thermostat, and since you were on Amazon, I’ll recommend the single output version of Exo Terra’s decent version of a day/night thermostat. I recommend using a two plug splitter on it, and utilizing a two bulb dome overhead, with a daylight basking lamp for day and a CHE for at night. I understand this is a lot, and like I said, if this makes you rethink your decision to keep this python, there are many of us willing to help not just the python, but you to find a better option, as well.

5 Likes

Edit: Links are fixed, should work fine now.

2 Likes

Is 69.8 degrees ferenheight good.

1 Like

While Emily and Ed certainly offer good information, their single video is CliffNotes compared to the unabridged encyclopedia that Lori offers.

Snakes do not thrive at one single temperature, they need a place that is warmer, a place that is cooler and a place in between. For the cool area, that would be acceptable, but not for the whole cage.

The information Axle provided is a good jumping off point. Please read it over a couple of times and really take it in.

After that, please go find Morelia Python Radio podcast and search through it for their episodes on the basics of keeping the species (they usually do one or two episodes a year on this) and listen to them. The hosts have run that show for ten years and are VERY knowledgeable, literally everything you need to know can be found in their shows

3 Likes

That’s room temperature in my room the hottest in the cage is 95 degrees which he never goes. his basking area is around 88 degrees to 90 .

1 Like

This is Andromeda, our Pure IJ Axanthic Granite, she is handable, but she has her rules.
Do not touch her at night.
Do not touch her on feeding day/rodents in room/smell like rodents.
Do not touch her too often.
Do not touch her in her cage.
Do not touch her when she doesn’t want to be touched.
Follow her rules and we have an understanding.
Break her rules, and she will tag you 3-4 times before you can even react.
Her enclosure is 2’x2’x3’ - pvccages
Radiant heat panel
Herpstat, set at 87° for the warm side
High hide
2 ground hides
Perches - specialty enclosure designs

5 Likes

Nice cage setup

2 Likes

I meant nice snake

2 Likes

But both are good

4 Likes

I want to say garter snake basking temperature is 85 to 90 and I keep garter snakes.

1 Like

The lowest on the cage is 69.2 in the cool hide, the highest is 92 in the basking area, and the warm area is 75.1.

1 Like

I mean, thats what ive used for 8 months and have had no issues. So not sure if the other commenter had a bad experience or just assumed because its cheap it wont work.

A quick clarification, i use it with CHE, not UTH, so no risk of burning the animal.

1 Like

What about exo Terra basking bulbs will they work I do know you use CHE

3 Likes

I havent used basking bulbs in a long time, but i wouldnt use them with this type termostat. It is an on/off type. I.E. the heat source is either on or off at any given time to regulate the temp, it doesnt lower electricity input to find a gradient medium.

If you hooked it up to anything that produces light, it would be turning the lights on and off throughout the day likely causing stress for the snake. A CHE doesnt produce light, so it isnt a problem.

Edit: some more clarification, i keep the probe on the hot side to ensure no part of the tank exceeds the highest heat i want. If you put the probe on the mid or cool side, the basking point can get too hot.

5 Likes

Are basking bulbs good for coastal carpet pythons. And he is doing good right now

This is his latest

2 Likes

1 Like

We said not to add anything into the enclosure and to leave him alone for 2 weeks…You need to leave him alone.

2 Likes

What part of wait 2 weeks before adding climbing material makes you think you should add climbing material now?

3 Likes

Knew that was going to happen…

2 Likes