Anyone working with lavender?

Hi guys

Is anyone on here currently working with lavender?
My hopes are to one day get a dreamsicle in my collection but I just wondered what else you guys have produced using the lavender gene.

Happy Halloween :grin:

4 Likes

I am currently working on a grail project (clown lav albino) among other projects with this gene. the one I am most excited about is making a 3 gene recessive animal with clown, pied, and lavender. I currently own 3 het lav females that are of breeding age and 2 sub adult lavs

5 Likes

That sounds crazy, Iā€™m going to have to go and look up what one of them will look like. Good luck with your odds. Pied, lavender and clown are top 3 on my list to buy in that order, though it will be a long while off before Iā€™d have all three. Hopefully in the future I might be able to follow your path. Again good luck.

1 Like

Yup. Couple of hets growing up in the rack. Canā€™t wait!

2 Likes

Thank you! Good luck to you as well! This coming month I will begin selling so you know just throwing that out there lol

2 Likes

I have a lavender snow male that will be going to both clowns and pieds in the coming years. Very excited

3 Likes

Grails are so cool. I have a double het female that Iā€™m pretty excited about.

3 Likes

Dont tempt me like that, I might end up selling my wife to front the money :joy::joy: (donā€™t tell her I said that).
Iā€™m definitely going to keep my eye out for your posts when you come to selling but it wonā€™t be until January - February that I will be buyingā€¦ Well unless the wife sells quickly lol :joy:

2 Likes

I canā€™t even imagine how excited you will be when that lavender snow locks on to either of them. If I had them three genes to work with I think I would be happy forever. Best of luck :blush:

1 Like

Haha lol no worries

I have a few Lav projects coming up. I am still raising half the project to maturity. Nobody has done what I am doing yet, so my apologies for being vague. I will be shooting for double and triple recessives stacked on some inco-doms. Maybe a super or two on top of the recessives. Iā€™m not real big on albino, but Lav is hands down my favorite. I am very excited to be getting into the gene.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got me excited to see what your working with but I completely understand the secrecy. Make sure to keep us updated if it pulls offā€¦ Or even if not, I just love lavender so anything you post will get my attention.

This is going to be my first year breeding (fingers crossed). I have a lav het pied girl Iā€™m going to pair with a black pastel pied het lav and a leopard clown 50% het lav boy Iā€™m going to try to prove out on a het lav and possibly on my 2016 lav (if she would stop being such a finicky eater).

1 Like

Lavender albinos are what drew me to ball pythons! Iā€™m just starting to build my collection with an initial focus around lavender pieds (dreamsicles). We drove to JKR and got a nice big 2015 breeder female pastel het lav to gain some experience with breeding ball pythons and dealing with eggs before our larger investments become of age (I come from a boa breeding background). We also got a yellow belly pied het lavender female from Justin. Then we picked up a pastel lavender het pied male from Chris Searcy (in photo below), as a potential mate for the big 2015 girl for the 2020/2021 breeding season. I hope to add a number of dreamsicle females, powerful breeders, in the next year or two to round out the project. Lavenders are great with plenty of room for additional refinement, canā€™t wait to see what I can do with them!

4 Likes

Were gonna be good friends me and you :wink:.
Iā€™m a boa man myself, not breeding just a owner for now but maybe in the future.
Lavender and piebalds are what brought my attention to ball pythons, then I saw a dreamsicle and I knew that was the animal I wanted to own.
At the minute with my kids being so young and expensive I canā€™t afford to drop Ā£2000-5000 on a snake, so my plan is to buy the building blocks of the future and get a Lavender and piebald and breed them.

I donā€™t want to become a huge breeder, my plan is to open a reptile supply store (equipment, custom enclosures/racks and so on) but I would like to eventually get into small time breeding, centered around the lavender gene.

Id love to see any pictures you have and hear any updates on your snakes as your project grows.
That pastel lavender is amazing.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently raising a visual lavender albino female, early 2018 and probably pushing 1000 grams at the moment. Got a male that will probably meet her next year. Heā€™s a mahogany het pied 50% Het lav. So if he proves out Iā€™ll get a mahogany lavender albino. Never seen one before but I have a feeling itā€™ll be awesome

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen one either. I just used the calculator on morphmarket and it says if you are to breed a mahogany to a lavender the you can end up with with either a:

Mahogany 100% het lavender - 50% chance
Normal 100% het lavender - 50% chance.

I donā€™t know if that is because the two genes donā€™t work together or because it hasnā€™t been done yet, hopefully someone else can answer, but I thought Iā€™d make you aware before you put years into it.

Good luck anyway :blush:

If the mahogany male turns out to be het lav, then 50% of their babies should (statistically speaking) will be visual lavender albinos. Of those visual lavs, 50% should also express the mahogany gene. So if he turns out to be a het and we get 4 eggs and they all hatch, stats would say that one baby will be a mahogany lav, one baby will be lavender albino, one will be a mahogany het lav, and one will be a normal het lav. Trust me I didnā€™t buy into this project without research, the mahogany male female lav, and one more female (a visual pied) were not the cheapest route to go. But I was super drawn to the first Suma pied and believe thereā€™s a lot more to be done with these genes.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a couple regular albino mahogany examples up on morph market which may give some insight towards how mahogany will interact with lavender albino. Mahogany is on my radar as well, Iā€™m looking for the ā€œdreamsicle antithesesā€. The panda pied looks incredible but I understand they can have neurological issues and Iā€™m trying to avoid anything with that potential. I think a panda pied or mahogany pied with lavender could be very interesting because itā€™s the darker areas of high melanin concentration that turn into that wonderful lavender coloration with age. I envision a lavender panda or mahogany starting off very high white with subtle lavender pattern pulling in more and more with age. Maybe Iā€™m totally wrong but itā€™s fun to hypothesize :). Iā€™m excited to make some yellow belly dreamsicles and see what I can add to that project. I think an OD YB dreamsicle with some additional pattern/color mutation thrown in there like enchi, leopard, or hurricane, could be an insane and unique snake. Photo is the YB pied het lav next to the pastel lav het pied :).

4 Likes

You obviously know a lot more than me (Iā€™m now to this) and done your research. I really hope you pull of some beautiful animals and get your prize after all this work. Do you have a YouTube channel where I can watch this unfold?

1 Like