Are some morphs over hyped?

As far as over-hyped is concerned… My list would include:

Banana/CG
Sunset
Bamboo
Scalelesshead/Scaleless

4 Likes

I like the sunset gene but I’m not about to drop double digits to purchase one. It would be easier to buy het sunets and move on from there. I absolutely love the monsoon, and I really want to make one badly (or just cheat and purchase one he-he).

I didn’t know Banana/CG were basically the same until about two weeks ago. I get hyped up on the banana gene, but I keep seeing a lot of it recently and it’s just not hitting my fancy anymore. Maybe its the combos I’m seeing, but they are losing their flare in my eye at this point in time.

I never really saw a lot of bamboo hype (that’s why I bought two). I like the bamboo and look forward to working with the gene. I like the colors and when you mix pinstripe into it, I think it just looks absolutely stunning (regardless if it makes snakes like Margo - whose for sale btw lol).

One of the genes I just found and can’t seem to find a lot of info on is the trick gene. (Please don’t go buy the trick gene snakes now because I want them). I want to learn more about it, but am unsure where to go or if it’s even really been explored enough to have any calcification on what it does. Do you know anything about this gene @t_h_wyman?

3 Likes

Never claimed to be an EXPERT and thanks for clearing up my own confusion and I’m glad you corrected me but as far as being wrong a lot you are reaching a bit and I’ll do my best to right 100% of the time like you must be

Yeah that dude has some amazing stuff for sure…what did you end up getting from him??? The way that gene reacts is AMAZING

1 Like

Not gonna lie but I looked up your buddy and his stuff is pretty nice. Wouldnt mind if he sent one my way lol

Yeah its INSANE…I dont know him enough to call him a buddy but wish I did and could get a “buddy” discount…what he is doing with it is spectactular

Not a huge fan of Mojave but check out the Mojave GHI Clown and you may change you outlook on em a lil bit…some morphs add a lil punch that you would never expect

2 Likes

clown

17 Likes

Back when the BLBC existed there was a rather large thread on the Bamboo and how it was going to be the next major morph. I never really understood that given it is not much different from a Lesser.

Originated by Gary Liesen as a “hitchhiker” out of his line of BlkPastels. Addes an element of pattern disruption. Most likely (but not yet confirmed to be) allelic to Blitz and Hurricane

1 Like

I’m gonna go and check them out. Im still not sure on what it is Ghi does to a snake. No time better than now to do some searching. :+1:

Sandblast is another gene I keep seeing pop up and don’t really know what it is

As far as things people seem excited about that I don’t really want for my collection, I think you’re spot on with Sunset, Scaleless, and Banana.

Bamboo though - does it really get much love these days? I always feel like I’m on the outside for how much I still love that morph lol.

2 Likes

What the special and bamboo combo does has me liking it again and most morphs look better in combos than stand alones and we dont know exactly what most of em are completley capable of just yet…

I forgot to say: Mandarin. They don’t look that different from a normal but are worth thousands of dollars? What am I missing? There are a lot of similar morphs out there for a fraction of the price.

3 Likes

Exactly!!!

That is crazy man, I definitely take back my words on that one.

Link for the lazy:

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/search?q=&sex=&maturity=0&cat=1&min_genes=0&max_genes=9&traits=Mojave+Ghi+clown&neg_traits=&min_price=0&max_price=1000000&cur=EUR&sort=def&epoch=0&store=&country=&export=&layout=grid

In my humble OPINION some people (not all) give up on certain morphs without realizing there overall aspect of how it will react with certain combos…I’m not the bighest fan of banana but mix it with calico or clown and it becomes one of my favorites…I know a bunch of other examples and I have learned over the years to keep my morph opinions open till I see what it actually does when combined with other genes…ya never really know and the surprises for me seem endless

1 Like

I think mandarin is mostly about the super form. It does seem like an insane orange color on the hatchlings at least. I’m curious to see a 2-5 year old super mandarin though. The single gene Mandarin though, yeah, not too impressive.

I think the most over hyped morph is clown. I can see how some people like it, but I personally think it’s not all that pretty, just a quick way to add $70 as a (possible) het. I also don’t care for many recessive genes, too hard to make them lol. My favorite morphs are the darks, I personally have a male pastel GHI, a female GHI Pastave, and a female black pastel pinstripe trick. Got her a few months back here on MM and slowly slowly putting size on her. Hope to make some cheetahs with her and my male!

6 Likes

I could see “overhyped” just because it’s SO hyped…

But I still think clown is the future it’s a recessive that goes will with color changers AND pattern changers. Unlimited combo possibilities.

But it could be all that and still qualify as “overhyped” since that’s relative.

2 Likes